Havana Nocturne

Colt45

This book has been discussed briefly here - I finished reading it recently.

Overall, I found it to be a story of corruption - well written and relatively unbiased. I felt he was as factual as possible, but given the time

period, some conjecture is inevitable. I found myself drawn in each time I picked up the book, but thankfully he did not try to glamorize

things as people sometimes do - though it did seem a glamorous time to be there.

There were a few things that stood out for me -- first being the picture painted of Cuba as a country in turmoil over the course of it's history.

I do realize that this book is a condensed point of view. Perhaps the most glaring aspect for me was castro becoming everything he railed

against in batista - and then some.

Overall, in my opinion well worth reading as an historical perspective, if not a completely factual history.

This book has been discussed briefly here - I finished reading it recently.

Overall, I found it to be a story of corruption - well written and relatively unbiased. I felt he was as factual as possible, but given the time

period, some conjecture is inevitable. I found myself drawn in each time I picked up the book, but thankfully he did not try to glamorize

things as people sometimes do - though it did seem a glamorous time to be there.

There were a few things that stood out for me -- first being the picture painted of Cuba as a country in turmoil over the course of it's history.

I do realize that this book is a condensed point of view. Perhaps the most glaring aspect for me was castro becoming everything he railed

against in batista - and then some.

Overall, in my opinion well worth reading as an historical perspective, if not a completely factual history.

Excellent summary Colt and I agree wholeheartedly.

I gave this book to Arthur so he could read it on the plane on his recent trip to Havana. He was blown away by the fact he visited so many of the landmarks mentioned in the book and on the walls of the hotels were photo's of the very players in the book.

It is a great read by itself but if you are heading to Havana....almost a must read.

Good review R.

I've been trying to get this book... but it has proved somewhat elusive finding here.

I'll try ordering at Borders and hope for the best.

I've been trying to get this book... but it has proved somewhat elusive finding here.

I'll try ordering at Borders and hope for the best.

Rob, I believe it is due to come out in paperback some time in May. This may explain why you haven't been able to find it locally.

I eneded up having to order it as well. Happy reading :rotfl:

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...