Movie Review: The Lost City (2005)

Morientes50

This film is about a Cuban Family torn apart during the Revolution in Cuba. Its a good movie though not without its flaws. The story is a bit disjointed in the first half (too many quick cuts of storyline back and forth). The characters of Bill murray and Hoffman really don't mesh well into the movie (murray's character seems almost like a comedic foil in a 15th century play.)

Despite its flaws, however, the movie is well worth seeing, especially for anyone (like most of us) that have a passion for Cuba. It is filled with beautiful Cuban scenery and Cigars play an important roll in the plot (and a sad one ;) how can they take away the old man's cigars ;) ). The movie is made from a Cuban-American perspective (which I didn't mind since I am one). Che Guevera is portrayed more as a ruthless soldier than as a child of light. But it doesn't get too preachy. The story is more about the loss of Cuba for Cuban-Americans than about Che.

So I think the movie is well worth watching. I give it 7 out of 10 stars (There were no Thai hookers in the plot line so it lost some points for that :D ).

(p.s. for mods) maybe this thread might work in the book review section. We can expand it to include other media (movies, music etc.). Just a thought.

This film is about a Cuban Family torn apart during the Revolution in Cuba. Its a good movie though not without its flaws. The story is a bit disjointed in the first half (too many quick cuts of storyline back and forth). The characters of Bill murray and Hoffman really don't mesh well into the movie (murray's character seems almost like a comedic foil in a 15th century play.)

Despite its flaws, however, the movie is well worth seeing, especially for anyone (like most of us) that have a passion for Cuba. It is filled with beautiful Cuban scenery and Cigars play an important roll in the plot (and a sad one :frown: how can they take away the old man's cigars :forkyou: ). The movie is made from a Cuban-American perspective (which I didn't mind since I am one). Che Guevera is portrayed more as a ruthless soldier than as a child of light. But it doesn't get too preachy. The story is more about the loss of Cuba for Cuban-Americans than about Che.

So I think the movie is well worth watching. I give it 7 out of 10 stars (There were no Thai hookers in the plot line so it lost some points for that :P ).

(p.s. for mods) maybe this thread might work in the book review section. We can expand it to include other media (movies, music etc.). Just a thought.

I enjoyed this movie. Andy Garcia worked hard to get it released & unfortunately, it did not stay in theaters very long.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I was wondering if this movie was any good. My attention was drawn to it after discovering a local cigar shop here has the Lost City Opus X's on sale (too rich for my blood :D ). I'll have to check this one out.

*EDIT* Interestingly enough, this is on Netflix Instant Watch right now.

• 1 month later...

Gonna have to track it down and watch it now. Just bought a handfull of the Opus x lost city stick, which is how I came to learn about the movie. Read a few places that most of the tobacco farm scenes were filmed on Chateau de la Fuente. Also that since the movie was filmed during the off season of growing, Carlito planted some tobacco just for the movie which now after some years of aging has made it into these Lost City Opus x cigars. Just thought I'd share this cool info for those who don't already know.