"Dry" vs. "Sweet" Drinks With Cigars

Colt45

Over the past week or so, I've tried a couple of drinks I'd never had while smoking a cigar. First was a margarita, and more recently, a vodka

tonic. I found the combination of "dry" alcohol and perhaps the lime acidity really flattened out the flavor of the cigars. This is what I find with

red wine and cigars, except that for me, the cigar kills the wine. It really hurt the flavor of the cigars.

On the other hand, I do enjoy "sweet" drinks while smoking. I think beer works well, and I like a rum and coke - no problem with the lime

here. Please take my use of dry and sweet as simple descriptors. I'm wondering if others experience something similar, or if this is a matter

of my particular palate.

I've tried, Lord knows I've tried, to drink beer with a cigar but it just seems to wash away the cigar flavor. While for the majority of the time I enjoy cigars by themselves, I do find añejo tequila's particularly complimentary. Cuervo Reserva de la Familia in particular.

A good sippin bourbon or rum usually works for me, or a nice tawny port, but it really depends on the cigar. I have several bourbons, but to get the one that matches well to the cigar you really need to experiment. When you talk about dry or sweet, I'm thinking that Knob Creek is a little sweet and Evan Williams SB batch has flavors of carmel and vanilla. These can sometimes over power a mild cigar or complement it. The same thing for Zaya rum which also has a robust flavor that is sweet and smokey. I find some bourbons like Woodford Reserve go well with just about any cigar as it is very smooth, but the flavor is more complex. If nothing else, a nice bourbon can really open up your palate and enhance the taste of the cigar.

I find that if I drink something really dry while smoking, it just destroys my palate. My go-to mixed drink is gin & tonic, but I have given up on trying to drink that while smoking a cigar, even a strong cigar. So I usually go with beer, water, soda, or sometimes red wine if it's a strong smoke....I've actually been enjoying a cold Dr. Pepper with cigars a great deal lately :2thumbs:

Over the past week or so, I've tried a couple of drinks I'd never had while smoking a cigar. First was a margarita, and more recently, a vodka

tonic. I found the combination of "dry" alcohol and perhaps the lime acidity really flattened out the flavor of the cigars. This is what I find with

red wine and cigars, except that for me, the cigar kills the wine. It really hurt the flavor of the cigars.

On the other hand, I do enjoy "sweet" drinks while smoking. I think beer works well, and I like a rum and coke - no problem with the lime

here. Please take my use of dry and sweet as simple descriptors. I'm wondering if others experience something similar, or if this is a matter

of my particular palate.

i think there's a lot in that but then most of the champers i've enjoyed with cigars has been dry.

have finally got hold of a bottle of the zacapa XO and will try that with a yet-to-be-determined cigar for tonight's state of origin.

I find that if I drink something really dry while smoking, it just destroys my palate. My go-to mixed drink is gin & tonic, but I have given up on trying to drink that while smoking a cigar, even a strong cigar. So I usually go with beer, water, soda, or sometimes red wine if it's a strong smoke....I've actually been enjoying a cold Dr. Pepper with cigars a great deal lately ;)

I gotta say... I noticed that Dr. Pepper thing too, seems to really fit nicely for some reason.

I find that if I drink something really dry while smoking, it just destroys my palate.

My experience exactly with the tequila and vodka. Once I had that dry alcohol sensation on my palate, the cigars never stood a chance of

showing their flavors. With the recent thread(s) re gin, I'd been looking forward to trying gin and tonic, and gin rickeys this summer. I still

will - just not while smoking a cigar.

KG, I was really referring to "dry" alcohols such as vodka, gin, and perhaps to a lesser extent, tequila. A dry, crisp white wine is the only

type of wine I enjoy with a cigar. Enjoy your rum and cigar with the stateofwhowhatsits.

I've tried, so hard, to match G&T with a cigar. Can't happen. If I'm boozing (which, honestly, is fairly common) I'll go with rum (straight or coke zero) or a whiskey (bourbon, whiskey, or Scotch). Sometimes a beer.

Big winners outside of booze are coffee, soda, or just plain old water.

Lately I have been having a glass of mint iced tea with my evening stogie on the patio. If it is good enough for the factory testers in Havana, it is good enough for me. Only fresh mint will do for this though. Brew your tea in the usual fashion, let it cool, and then add a few large spigs of fresh mint to the pitcher. This drink goes well with cigars and cleanses the palate to boot.

If we're talking booze, I generally go with either single barrel bourbon or single malt scotch. Occasionally port or brandy in winter.

I agree, dry wines, and tart wines, ruin the cigar taste. I like the suggestions of bourbon and rum, Guinness is my favorite beer with cigars. A sweet porter or stout can add a nice touch to a cigar. With non alcoholic beverages espresso is my favorite.

Overall, I agree with the premise. I find that most dry red wines kinda dull the cigar and the subtleties of the wine are somewhat overcome by the cigar...however, i still love the combination although you are not really getting the best of either individually. That said, I also love the combination of Gin and Tonic and a cigar. Something to try if Gin and Tonic isn't working for you is Gin and Club Soda...try it with and without lime or lemon.

• 4 weeks later...

It could be a weird observation on my part, but I've found that when I smoke cigars I enjoy drinks that are similar colors to cigars (rum, whisky, bourbon, coffee). That's not to say I don't like other drinks with smokes, but I usually lean towards those four. Drinking alone, it's almost always vodka.

I generally prefer sweet accompaniments whether it's port, sherry, sweet rums like Zaya, Pyrat, or Zacapa, and sweet coffee. Black coffee, black tea, gin, vodka, dry reds do not do it for me. Like Colt and others have remarked, they rob the cigar of its flavor and richness.

Wilkey

• 3 weeks later...

I definitively like drinking something on the sweet side as Porto, Zaca and a good Mojito.

Tried many time swith wine and the only red that worked out (a bit ) is the Amarone of Valpollicella , a Veneto wine. White wines is another story .

• 2 months later...
Lately I have been having a glass of mint iced tea with my evening stogie on the patio. If it is good enough for the factory testers in Havana, it is good enough for me. Only fresh mint will do for this though. Brew your tea in the usual fashion, let it cool, and then add a few large spigs of fresh mint to the pitcher. This drink goes well with cigars and cleanses the palate to boot.

If we're talking booze, I generally go with either single barrel bourbon or single malt scotch. Occasionally port or brandy in winter.

Mint tea? Really? I drink a lot of mint tea, but I have always avoided it when smoking because I thought it wouldn't pair well. I'll definitely have to try this now!

-- Gary F.