Real of Fake?

captain

A friend of mine gave me this box. yes i know it is one of the most expensive boxes that habanos makes. yes i also know that cohibas are the most faked stick out there. so heres the pics, let me know what you think. heres what i can tell you.

-the guy that gave them to me is a really good friend, i also knwo that he deasl with ALOT of very high end people and coudl easilly get his hands on a box liek this without too much trouble.

-why did he give them to me? i did him a really big favor and he knows my love for cc so he thought this was the best way to repay me.

-why dont i just some one and find out if they are fake? becuase i haev a massive headcold and cant smell or taste a damn thing. and i really dotn want to wait until i get better before at least aksing around to see what you guys think.

-notice-the bands are not exactly alike on the cigars. the majority of the sticks have 3 rows of white boxes before hitting the cohiba logo. 2-3 cigars only have 1 row of white boxes before hitting the cohiba logo. thats the biggest "red flag" i see.

looking forward to hearing your impressions. thanks

100_2244.jpg

100_2245.jpg

100_2246.jpg

100_2247.jpg

100_2248.jpg

100_2249.jpg

100_2250.jpg

100_2251.jpg

100_2252.jpg

100_2253.jpg

100_2254.jpg

100_2255.jpg

100_2256.jpg

100_2257.jpg

yes i king of knew they were fake but jsut am looking for more education of why they are fakes. thank you for the quick response

yes i king of knew they were fake but jsut am looking for more education of why they are fakes. thank you for the quick response

When viewing photographs, it is difficult to be definitive regarding fakes, however these two points were obvious.

ECA was I believe a factory code used in 01 and 02. Also, the font for the factory and date stamp look unlike everything else I have see. The font on the actual band of the cigars is off most notably the "Havana,Cuba" and as Trevor pointed out the box code doesnt match the warranty seal. There are several more issues but I think you were looking for the simple Fake or not answer.

no i want the full analysis. when i created the thread i kinda knew they were fake. but for the most obvious reasons. however, i want to use this opportunity to learn more about spotting fakes.

It looks wrong on so many levels :cigar:

The lads have pointed out all the major discrepancies. You can add the timber used on the Sliding Lid.

We have seen plenty of fake boxes here on the forum over the years but this one is a doozy :coffee:

While we are at it, on the band the end of the loop on Cuba crosses into the 'C', combined with the fact that AAVKK pointed out that the font is wrong. Notice how the loop stops at the 'C' in the box above.

oh wow, when you psoted the pics of the real ones i can really see the differences. ok ok...who wants a free fake cohiba? ahah. i may smoke one just to see what they are like when i get over this damn cold.

Have you smoked any?

For what it's visible they seem to have good wrappers and well rolled, try one -I cannot say with your mind open anymore- and please let us know.

no i havent smoked one yet. still have this head cold lingering. but they do smell pretty good. i have every intention to smoking one this weekend. ill keep you posted.

no i havent smoked one yet. still have this head cold lingering. but they do smell pretty good. i have every intention to smoking one this weekend. ill keep you posted.

Thanks, i've seen some extraordinarly odd boxes. Normaly a box will give most of the clues you need to tell if the cigars are real or not, but the real deal is the cigar itself.

I would certainly not buy an odd box (or any) from a vendor or shop that does not inspire me confidence, but there are other cases were I wouldn't even care to check the box or labels...

One thing that I tend to notice with fakes is the bands, especially with Cohiba's. When you open a box of authentic Cohibas, it look like a museum inside because everything is absolutely perfect. Every band on every cigar is on near perfectly and the bands all line up 100% when sitting in an untouched box. I noticed that right away with those. Perhaps not a absolute way of spotting fakes, but a good indicator to check some of the more fool proof tests.

G

I am not sure anyone pointed out that besides the fact the roll is not uniform on them, most of the heads are rounded like a 109 style cigar on the smokes in question. Siglo's are not rolled that way. Look at the legit box on the heads of the smokes; besides the fact they clearly have the triple layered cap, they are almost flat at the end.

I am not sure anyone pointed out that besides the fact the roll is not uniform on them, most of the heads are rounded like a 109 style cigar on the smokes in question. Siglo's are not rolled that way. Look at the legit box on the heads of the smokes; besides the fact they clearly have the triple layered cap, they are almost flat at the end.

Sharp eyes! You're right. All my Cohibas have a flattish head.

Wilkey