Toshiko Mariano And Her Big Band

Colt45

Not a book, not a movie - music (here a cd)

Stunning, sizzling. I'm not a jazz "aficianado", so I can't classify this recording, But to my ear, it pays homage to the Duke et al, but with a more

"modern" recorded sound (recorded in 1965). Again to my ear, the horn interplay is almost symphonic, and I could swear that during the piano

solos I can hear voices in unison. It's the type of music you might here as a '60s movie soundtrack - meant in the best way.

In my opinion, definitely worth a listen.

Ahhhh, Toshiko Akiyoshi. There couldn't have been two prominent Toshikos in jazz. I know her as Toshiko Akiyoshi of the TA - Lew Tabackin big band (after she and Charlie Mariano divorced and married Tabackin). We first saw them at a concert hall in Hartford, Connecticut back in the late 80's, early 90's. What a dynamic, energetic band and leader. It was a notable concert not the least of which for the post concert refreshments: sushi. Lots and lots of sushi.

Wilkey

Ahhhh, Toshiko Akiyoshi. There couldn't have been two prominent Toshikos in jazz. I know her as Toshiko Akiyoshi of the TA - Lew Tabackin big band (after she and Charlie Mariano divorced and married Tabackin). We first saw them at a concert hall in Hartford, Connecticut back in the late 80's, early 90's. What a dynamic, energetic band and leader. It was a notable concert not the least of which for the post concert refreshments: sushi. Lots and lots of sushi.

Wilkey

W, no doubt - in my opinion, this disc rips. I think Charlie kicks butt as well - currently, I'm waiting on "The Jazz Scene San Francisco".

I've heard parts of it, and am really looking forward to the complete disc.

• 4 months later...