Montecristo OPEN "Eagle video Review

Thanks to Smithy for getting this series of reviews up for the weekend. :)

The Montecristo OPEN lineup has been one of the most controversial releases in the last 50 years. Is it worth it?

Thanks for the review guys. I must re-iterate how much I appreciate the anti-James Suckling style of reviewing you guys do here. Not only do we get to know your palates which helps a hell of a lot more than other, more generic reviews, but for me, it really gives a sense of whats going on with a particular cigar all the way through. I like the non-Habanos SA spokesman style of your reviews, and I agree 100% with the watering down of the Monte line. I was never excited about this concept, and continue to be disinterested. Once again, thanks for telling it like it is. Carry on! :angry:

Sounds like a cigar for those who don't really have that defined palate and that aren't really looking for much complexity. Just a solid 1 dimensional smoke with a decent mild flavor. The type of cigar to bring out on the golf course. Ken's spot on with bringing it out at a lower price point would do much better for for them. The bad thing is that we all know it will sell like crazy across the world and the price will never be lowered.

-Patrick

So after watching the review, I decided to head to the local shop to try it out. I understand what you mean by lacking complexity and just being a blah cigar. No spice, no change in flavor what so ever throughout the whole cigar. Just tobacco flavor with cream from start to finish.

I actually enjoyed the cigar however. Not having such a defined palate as you fellas and a lot of members here, that mild bodied consistent flavor appeals to me. I can see myself buying a box in the future. The draw was what I would consider perfect, not the wind tunnel you guys referred to and the burn was straight throughout. No relight was ever needed and it last a good 90+ minutes. Just my opinion.

-Patrick

Patrick, I appreciate others trying them and formulating their own opinions. We are certainly not the be all and end all of cigar reviews, it is only our opinion.

I just want to touch on one point however. I (and the team) love mild cigars. We simply insist they have some complexity.

let me give you some examples:

Rafael Gonzalez Corona Extra.

Sancho Panza Molinos

HDM Les Hoyo Des Dieux

La Gloria Cubana medaille D'Or No 1

El Rey Del Mundo Choix Supreme

Each is relatively mild but with fantastic flavour definition. At their best, a work of art.

The other point which really disappointed us on the "Opens" is that it bore no resemblance to a "Montecristo"

To me this is a fundamental flaw in the line.

The bad thing is that we all know it will sell like crazy across the world and the price will never be lowered.

-Patrick

the more i think about that, the better. leaves good cigars for those who appreciate them. they can waste dud tobacco on these and leave the good stuff for other cigars. etc etc.

Sounds like they are just going for a marketing gimmick as opposed to really, truly putting out a good, unique, quality product and like was said by Ken leave the good tobacco for the regular line and leave the dud tobacco for these. Seems to me these were made for people with way to much money burning a hole in their pocket and they can have em

Thanks to Smithy for getting this series of reviews up for the weekend. :cowpoop:

The Montecristo OPEN lineup has been one of the most controversial releases in the last 50 years. Is it worth it?

Answer: No fricking way!

I strongly think that the whole line should have not been created. A robusto would haçve been the great add up to MC maintaning the same blend and character. Being asked about it, I simply change the subject. I don´t like the opens the way I enjoy other montecristos like petit edmundo or edmundos, monte 2 or monte 5. I found some creamy notes in Eagle but it´s rather flat and boring for my palate. No evolution sensed...no good for me :forkyou:

Answer: No fricking way!

I strongly think that the whole line should have not been created. A robusto would haçve been the great add up to MC maintaning the same blend and character. Being asked about it, I simply change the subject. I don´t like the opens the way I enjoy other montecristos like petit edmundo or edmundos, monte 2 or monte 5. I found some creamy notes in Eagle but it´s rather flat and boring for my palate. No evolution sensed...no good for me ;)

hi jose.

good to hear what you think. when you rule cuba, can you get them to dump the concept?

• 3 weeks later...

I understand what they're trying to do.

It's effectively a new line of cigars, which as has been said are easy and mild to smoke so perhaps a good way to intro people to the cigar world.

Problem is coming up with a new brand of 'Open' cigars has no oomph. However, even non-smokers have heard of Montecristo, Punch, RyJ etc so they just picked a brand to piggy-back this concept onto. So newbie smokers get to smoke a 'Montecristo' for the image, and actually enjoy it.

Downside of course is that it diminishes the brand. It's sad, and perhaps superficial, but having had one of these (the Eagle) I now feel less desire to pick up a regular Monte. Which is a shame.

For me this is a clear example of one of those times when some with a 'marketing brain' gets their way in a strategy meeting, whilst having no clue of the heritage or character of their brand.

I wonder if sales have been strong?

• 1 year later...