Montecristo OPEN "Junior" video Review

Well, after watching all three reviews all I can say is thanks for taking three for the team. Kjell's thoughts from the Ravello tasting

corroborates your findings - these will be a pass for me.

Interesting view on the process of how these came to be. I've read the press release, and combined with the packaging, I get the

impression that they might also be trying to lure cigarette smokers.

As for being beginner's cigars, why would someone want to come back to something like these.....

Great work fellas. Laughed my socks off watching the three reviews.

Best non-verbal action award goes to Rob for the disgusted look he gave when tossing the "master..." away not even a third of the way through.

Best Cigar was the Junior that Ken had, for making life so hard and going out all the time. Classic. It was as if the gods were watching. Well done all of you for putting yourselves through that. I will try and post some Henri Wintermans through so you can do a back to back comparative review...

My money is on the Henri wintermans....

I get the

impression that they might also be trying to lure cigarette smokers.

I got the same notion.... The green bands and packaging to me screams menthol for some reason, and when I imagine the taste, that's what I think. Not a good association for a cigar.

I got the same notion.... The green bands and packaging to me screams menthol for some reason, and when I imagine the taste, that's what I think. Not a good association for a cigar.

Yes, KOOLs all the way. Something else the guys touched on, which we all pretty much know but I always try to keep in mind, is that there

is no head of Montecristo, or Partagas, or Bolivar. I sometimes wonder what the Havana cigar would be if the industry had never been

nationalized.

Brutal yet hilarious set of reviews.

To me, with the green bands and the golf-oriented names, golf tourney introduction, etc. - it seems like the target audience is golfers and associated white collar sporting types - tennis, cricket, yachting, etc. Not sure if there is some huge market to be tapped into there, but this line of cigars seems like they should come in argyle patterned boxes.

To me, with the green bands and the golf-oriented names, golf tourney introduction, etc. - it seems like the target audience is golfers and associated white collar sporting types - tennis, cricket, yachting, etc. Not sure if there is some huge market to be tapped into there, but this line of cigars seems like they should come in argyle patterned boxes.

According to the original concept, that was part of the target.

If anyone's interested, here's a link to the original concept thread (photos are missing):

Link

I know a couple guys who like light bodied cigars. Me on the other hand, I can't get them full enough.

For exmaple, if a person who likes light bodied cigars walks into a shop and says "gimme the lightest cigar you got", they will probably get a monte open, and love it.

I know a couple guys who like light bodied cigars. Me on the other hand, I can't get them full enough.

For exmaple, if a person who likes light bodied cigars walks into a shop and says "gimme the lightest cigar you got", they will probably get a monte open, and love it.

The problem is you can't even really call them a light bodied cigar, they almost have no body.

The flavor profile is in my opinion is missing.

Just as the concept is more of a visual thing so is the cigar itself.

It looks like you're smoking a cigar ( lots of smoke) but it doesn't taste like you're smoking a cigar.

I'm shocked, ;) shocked I tell you that you could pan the Monte Open line without tasting the Regatta and shocked that you could not agree with Mr. James Suckling's positive reviews and 90-92 ratings. :pooped:

Great videos guys and other than Ken's overuse of his favorite expression "wind tunnel", pretty well balanced. I don't know why Rob didn't just give him another Junior right off.

There seems to be a general agreement within the cigar community that Cubatabaco and Habanos have shot themselves in the foot with this line of "poseur" smokes. I thought that they had gone far enough with the Guantanamera line but after seeing so many of the stores in Cuba, including all the airport "Duty-Free" stores converting so much of their display areas to the "tourist cigars", I can only anticipate similarly bland lines from Romeo Y Julieta and (gasp) Cohiba.

Perhaps this is deliberate. Cuba is also producing lines of cigars for "poseurs" at the opposite end of the scale who seem to have Permanent Priapism over the various overpriced Regional and Limited Edition smokes. We can only hope that those of us who cannot find or afford the specialty products but who enjoy a good Cuban cigar will still be able to find something to smoke.

Maybe I'm in trouble here because I recently enjoyed a EMS Bolivar Belicoso in London that was the best example of one of my favorite smokes I've ever tasted and may indicate that the old saw we have been fed over the years about H&F in the UK getting "specially selected" stocks may actually have substance.

Commander Bob

Not a golfer.

Ken - I freakin love ya! They should fire James Suckling and call you up! I was gifted one of these and thought it was terrible.

Keep up the great reviews and "Monty" entertainment! :pooped:

Lastly, Ken STOP doing things to draw attention to your crouch! ;)

Brian

Great videos guys and other than Ken's overuse of his favorite expression "wind tunnel", pretty well balanced. I don't know why Rob didn't just give him another Junior right off.

Several times both Rob and I tried to get him to throw that one out and grab another. But you know what Ken's like when he gets in his zone, you just stand back and watch the train wreck happen.

Ken that was the best cigar tirade I have ever heard. "Diabolical." :D Is there a better description of an uber- shitty cigar? I think not.

Rob the look on you face as you tossed it out a third of the way through was priceless and telling.

Best yet.

Hey Rob what did you pass out for a real smoke after the palate torture session?

Rob: "I don't understand where they are going, I don't understand what they are trying to achieve...?"

They are trying to sell the consumer **** in a shiny box with two bands and call it special only because they say so. Welcome to how many consumers rate EL's Rob! This is no different; just another departure designed to separate the consumer from his cash.

Mining gold is easier than mining great cigars. Sure H SA produces the best cigars in the world but you have to transcend the hype and bullshit... and therefore buy what is largely rejected by the general public to find the best ones. Regular production is the mine, you just need to look in the right direction to find the best cigars. -Piggy