Rank your rums 1-5

El Presidente

Yes, I suppose you're right on that. I was just trying to put it some kind of context.

I'm now looking forward to trying some of the rums listed so far on the top five rums list like the Mount *** Extra Old, maybe one of the Appletons or the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva.

The Diplo Reserva Exclusiva is to my taste a fantastic rum. It is also very sweet. If you don't like your rum on the sweet side, you might not like it. If you do like sweet rum, it's a real treat.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

non-cubans - 1. zacapa XO 2. appleton 21 year old 3. zacapa 23 year solera 4. mt *** extra old. 5. contender as really have not tried enough of this to fairly rate it - english harbour 10 year o

picked up 3 rums over the last month - bacardi 8, appleton 12, angostura1919

agree with the comments above about the bacardi 8: very smooth, core of caramel and nice spicy (but smooth) finish

the appleton is growing on me but has a slightly harsh finish which is surprising for the age. full body, vanilla oak, and orange and lime peel hints.

the angostura is light bodied and very sweet (lashings of vanilla!) but it still has power and substance. orange juice on the nose and there was something else i notice but couldn't put my finger on...that is until i read the 'blurb' on the box it came in which stated "ripe banana" or some such...spot on. awesome bottle shape/label (yes that wins points no matter what). my favourite

however, tried them all with cigar (hoyo petit robusto and another night with monte petit edmun) and the appleton and bacardi8 stepped up, with ango1919 still great

i want mount *** xo and splash on zacapa23, seem the xo around but buggered if i can find zacapa. any west aussies help me out??

picked up 3 rums over the last month - bacardi 8, appleton 12, angostura1919

agree with the comments above about the bacardi 8: very smooth, core of caramel and nice spicy (but smooth) finish

the appleton is growing on me but has a slightly harsh finish which is surprising for the age. full body, vanilla oak, and orange and lime peel hints.

the angostura is light bodied and very sweet (lashings of vanilla!) but it still has power and substance. orange juice on the nose and there was something else i notice but couldn't put my finger on...that is until i read the 'blurb' on the box it came in which stated "ripe banana" or some such...spot on. awesome bottle shape/label (yes that wins points no matter what). my favourite

however, tried them all with cigar (hoyo petit robusto and another night with monte petit edmun) and the appleton and bacardi8 stepped up, with ango1919 still great

i want mount *** xo and splash on zacapa23, seem the xo around but buggered if i can find zacapa. any west aussies help me out??

Zacapa...hands down the best rum I've ever tasted. Pyrat XO is very good too.

must get my hands on some! i'll have to source the pyrat xo too if you reckon its the go

I find the Pyrat has a distinct butterscotch aftertaste. If you like butterscotch, go for it. I don't, but outside of the butterscotch it's a very good rum.

1. zacapa XO

2. appleton 21 year old

3. zacapa 23 year solera

4. mt *** extra old.

5. contender as really have not tried enough of this to fairly rate it - english harbour 10 year old (also like the appleton 12 and flor de cana 18 year old).

For those of you who have listed both the Zacapa XO and the 23 year solera, how would you describe the difference between the two? Is it a very distinct difference or is it a more subtle one?

I really enjoy the 23 year and am thinking about the XO for my next purchase but I'm not sure I would appreciate the difference.

For those of you who have listed both the Zacapa XO and the 23 year solera, how would you describe the difference between the two? Is it a very distinct difference or is it a more subtle one?

I really enjoy the 23 year and am thinking about the XO for my next purchase but I'm not sure I would appreciate the difference.

both great but the xo more subtle, more elegant, more refined. i think you'd notice the difference. only one way to find out.

• 3 weeks later...
thanks for that, terrific.

Just a small one man operation with amazing selection & very good service. Beside their Cuban rums, they have quite a variety from Martinique, where I spent my honeymoon & developed a fondless for their rums too.

although 29 euros for a bottle of basic bundy is a hit.

If you reques by e-mail "non trackable" shipping the charge goes down to 19 Euros. I got my order in 10 days.

I have yet to dive into the wonderful world of rum. However, I usually don't care for mixing my spirits, so I suppose if I can tolerate sailor jerry, then a well aged rum will be very appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd throw my list in here, and want to thank all those who recommended Zacapa because:

1) Zacapa 23

2) Matusalem Gran Reserve

3) 3 Barrel (Belize - wish i could get more of this)

4) Bacardi 8yr.

5) Sailor Jerry's (maybe not the best, but it has a place in my heart, so I drink it often)

I enjoy rum very much,

a little on ice is very nice (if its a nice rum)

or with grapefruit juce.

Its interesting that a few folks recommended Doorly's XO,

I tried a bottle and didnt care for it much at all.

Rum was my first favorite liquour, before I moved on to Tequila, but it still holds a place in my heart!

My top 5

1. Angostura 1919 - I find it better than the 1824, actually!

2. Havana Club Barrel Proof - Marvelous, only reason it's not #1 was an oddly off-tasting bottle i had once

3. Captain Morgan's Private Reserve - tastes of Chocolate in every sip

4. Appleton's Master Blender Reserve

5. Sailor Jerry's - it's just that good

Worst Rums?

1. Bacardi White - I can taste the steel in every sip

2. Bacardi 8 yr - probably the worst amber rum I've ever had, IMO

3. Pyrat - I Can't see what the big deal is? I'll keep trying though...at least I only paid 25$ for it in Hawaii instead of 90$ for it here in BC!

both great but the xo more subtle, more elegant, more refined. i think you'd notice the difference. only one way to find out.

So I splurged on a bottle of the XO.

As you say, it's more subtle. Smooth does not even begin to capture the sensation and taste.

So far I've had only a very small taste. Really. Just a couple of sips in the bottom of a small glass. I'm looking forward to tasting the XO and the 23 side-by-side -- just to make the comparison.

So I splurged on a bottle of the XO.

As you say, it's more subtle. Smooth does not even begin to capture the sensation and taste.

So far I've had only a very small taste. Really. Just a couple of sips in the bottom of a small glass. I'm looking forward to tasting the XO and the 23 side-by-side -- just to make the comparison.

Quite honestly...I prefer the 23 over the XO. That's just my tastes though.

• 1 month later...

1. 1998 Plantation Jamaica - Jamaica

2. El Dorado 15 yr -Guyana

3. Santa Teresa 1796 - Venezuela

4. Flor de Cana 18 yr - Nicaragua

5. Zaya Gran Reserva - Guatemala (Or at least it was. When Diageo went into partnership Licoreras de Guatemala in order to get in on Ron Zacapa, Zaya got the axe, at least as far as its Guatemalan production was concerned. Zaya began producing rum in Trinidad, and though good, it lacks the character of the Guatemalan Zaya. If you ever see a bottle still labeled Guatamala, pick it up as it is a bit of history and tastes fantastic.)