Rank your rums 1-5

El Presidente

3. Pyrat - I Can't see what the big deal is? I'll keep trying though...at least I only paid 25$ for it in Hawaii instead of 90$ for it here in BC!

Same people that do Patron. They are great at taking a decent product and hyping it until everyone thinks it is the very ambrosia of the gods.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

non-cubans - 1. zacapa XO 2. appleton 21 year old 3. zacapa 23 year solera 4. mt *** extra old. 5. contender as really have not tried enough of this to fairly rate it - english harbour 10 year o

1. Zacapa XO
  2. Montecristo Edmundo Dantes
  3. Zacapa 23
  4. Santiago 11 Anejo Superior
  5. Caney Oro Ligero

Ken lets see if we can track down the one Jimmy recommends "Diplomatico"

Prez.

The Santiago Superior, you procured that from the same stockist you referred me to for the Zacappa - Charles? :lol:

Hey Prez,

Is Ron Zacapa XO available by you?

zacapa has come into australia in the last 12 months or so. the xo was last in and mostly available in duty free but the good bottleshops will or should be able to find a bottle.

and re the clement, i have not seen a lot of martinique rums but have seen quite a bit of clement and i am a fan.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!! I had only tried mainly cheap rums and Bacardi 8, but after reading your suggestions, over the past 2 months I have tried Appleton 12, Appleton 21, Zaya (guatemalan), Pampero, El Dorado 21 and Zacapa 23. I do have bottle of Zacapa XO coming in the next few days (Appleton 21, 12, and El Dorado came from a friend's tasting, I did not purchase those). I am now a rum CONVERT! Listed below is my order of preference:

Zacapa 23

El Dorado 21

Zaya

Appleton 21

Appleton 12

Pampero

Not really sure what the big deal is with the Appletons, they were ok, but not my favorite. The Zacapa 23 was superb, so I am really interested to see how the Zacapa XO compares.

i think i only saw this mentioned once, but it can't be because people didnt like it -

Pampero "Aniversario" Reserva Exclusiva Anejo Rum

I just finished a bottle and thought it was very good.

is this one being overlooked?

I have found it to be good but not great. It is certainly off the pace compared to the top 3-5. This 'pampero' to me lacks in flavour depth/complexity and still has that alcohol "burn" the presence of which distinguishes between "good" rum and "great" rum.

I have found it to be good but not great. It is certainly off the pace compared to the top 3-5. This 'pampero' to me lacks in flavour depth/complexity and still has that alcohol "burn" the presence of which distinguishes between "good" rum and "great" rum.

i agree with you, Rob. the Pampero is certainly not bad, but I thought it too lacked in complexity.

I'm beginning my journey with rum but so far have loved it and also found it very affordable versus scotch for what you get for ya money.

Ok I know I'm jumping on the banwagon a bit with the Zacapa but...(inc very amateur tastings :) )

1. Zacapa 23 (toffee, citrus peel, stewed fruit and much more - super smooth)

2. Bacardi 8 (caramel, peppery, nice mouthfeel, good price)

3.HC 7 yr (spicy, honeyed, slight burn)

4.Angostura 1919 (vanilla, light, banana peel, fresh orange)

5. Mt *** XO (spicy, roasted nuts, citrus, slight burn)

Mixer - HC Anejo Blanco (not as a sipper but for cocktails, mojitos etc)

Keen to try - Santiago, Flora de Cana

Miss - Appleton 12, 9 - didn't do much for me, bit too full bodied, maybe im not man enough but lacked a bit of balance

well sure, but it comes in that cool leather bag....

:) I had enough of the Pampero leather bags to start a leather shoe factory..about 75-100 in all. I gave them away when I moved as I wondered to myself: "What the hell am I saving these for?"

Ive been drinking Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva...damn good!

Did you alone drink 100 bottles of Pampero? well you must have liked the stuff.

I enjoyed it, and will now give the Diplomatico a try.

:unsure: Hiccup! I alone didn't drink each one - they were shared with cigar mooching buddies who would come over after work. I did however buy all of them over a couple years. At one point it was almost all I drank as far as rum and all I drank when smoking cigars. I really hate to admit it, but was on avg buying 1-2 bottles a week. Wifey no happy. I was getting out of hand spending, and drinking the stuff. Still love it, just in smaller quantities. What else is there to do in Florida if you are fishing, drinking rum and smoking cigars? Nothing I say.

Went out to dinner tonight with a couple of buddies....had a Rafael Gonzalez Lonsdale '01 and a glass of Barbancourt 15. The rum was damned good...spicy, strong, hints of vanilla and toffee. The cigar? not so good. I am thinking that the Rafael Gonzales Lonsdales are starting to peter out flavor wise at the 9 year mark. Pretty bland to be honest. Are they on their way out or are the hopefully like the Sancho Panzas and ERDM's that get better after the 10-15 year mark? Hell over the last 2 years I was smoking a ton of the RG Lonsdales from 2005, and they were sensational, so I stocked up and had 6 boxes of 2005's and a box of 2001's. The 2001's seem to be getting a little long in the tooth. But the rum was FANTASTIC :)

I never drink rum neat, but my favorite mixers are:

As a born and bred North Queenslander (raised in sugar cane fields :D ).....

1. Normal everyday Bundy is king because it makes me feel home sick!

Because I now live in Melbourne........

2. Havana Club Añejo Blanco (perfect with coke and a squeeze of lime)

3. Havana Club Añejo 7 Años