Aged Partagas SD4 Review (1994)

Tampa1257

Partagas Serie D #4

Cuban, Boxed 1994

This evening was one of those evenings that as a Cigar Smoker, you cherish and strive to obtain a few times in your life. I had the opportunity to smoke my favorite cigar, a Partagas Serie D #4, an aged PSD4, 1994. I will have a few photos uploaded soon and will attach them when available.

The cigar was a rich milk chocolate Colorado colored wrapper with tooth clearly sprinkled generously over the entire length of the SD4. I cut the triple cap and found a pronounced divot which held a small almost ball shaped bit of tobacco. Once I removed this, it provided a smooth dimple in the head of the cigar. The pre-light draw was just firm enough to give a little resistance, yet also gave a glimpse of what pleasure the aged Puro would soon be giving.

Lighting was done with a cedar splint and it took the soft flame instantly. It burned excellent, slow and deliberant wasting not a single morsel of this 11 year old Partagas. Every bit of youth was long gone from this cigar. All the flavors had married and the complexity was smooth yet distinguished. I was greeted with aged notes of leather, rich earthiness, and almost toasted spicy flavors of cayenne pepper mellowed out over time, but the essence still holds its spiciness.

I have often stated that I am a self proclaimed Partagas ***** and I just love that “In your face” full bodied rich leathery peppery spice. This Serie D #4 fulfilled every bit of expectation, actually exceeding all hopes and dreams; but something happened about the half way point. I think Emrill must have been working his magic, because all of a sudden BAM, BAM BAM!!!! The peppery spiciness kicked it up a notch, no not just 1, but 2 or 3 notches!!!

This Robusto was by far the best robusto I have ever smoked. Satisfying, delicious, robust, complex and flavorable, along with the full bodied Partagas flavors one expects. It gave a long finish and even longer memory for yet a day in the future when I can smoke another aged Partagas Serie D #4. This cigar is not for the weak of heart, for the full power would or could hurt the casual or novice Cuban Cigar smoker. I give it 6 out of 6 smoke rings, a must have for years down the road. For FOH ratings, I would give this cigar a 99.

94vs04PSD44.jpg

Tampa1257

Tampa 1257 :clap:

Great review! This will really help Ken Gargett by showing him how to write a review :wink:

Isn't it amazing how you can recall great cigar experiences. I can remember my top 5 cigars like I remember the birth of my children.

That is a topic for another thread.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I thoroughly enjoyed your post reveling vicariously in each nuance of the cigar.

The fact that you posted a picture made reading your description all the more

interesting.

Happy for ya that you had such a good experience. Got worried for a second when you posted the BAM. grin Thought you were going to indicate everthing had gone to hell. :surprised: Whew!

dave :-)