Davidoff: Legend-Myth-Reality

jquest63

Davidoff: Legend-Myth-Reality by Dieter H. Wirtz

As I've always enjoyed Davidoff cigars, both the Cuban and Dominican product. With that I picked up a copy to learn more about the "Grand Old Man of the Cigar"

This well written and organized biography of Zino Davidoff gives an account of his personal life from birth to death, with a strong focus on his business life. It contains numerous interesting stories/facts that provide insight into his business philosophy, style, family values and character. One of which is that the Punch Diademas and the Punch Super Selecion were both designed by and for Zino.

Having just finished the book, I've been craving one the divine Davidoff Chateau series cubans cigars. Haven't had one in about 20 years.

Enjoy

I've read a bit about Zino as well. While he is a very interesting person, I have to say that I don't really care to much for his Dominican cigars. None of them have really struck a chord with me. Unfortunately, I have never had the opportunity to sample one of his Cuban cigars, so I can't really draw a comparison.

Although Zino Davidoff may have disagreed with this, I think that his Cuban Chateux series was clearly superior to his Dominican releases. For my taste, of his Dominican releases the Grand Cru's are his best.

thanks for posting this.

i remember years ago trying a few davidoffs i picked up at an airport duty free. i knew little about cigars at the time but had heard of d'offs. these must have been post the cuban retreat and poorly stored as they were dry, flavourless and would not have inspired anyone to try another cigar if that was their intro.

rob very kindly dropped by recently with an old d'off margaux. what a cigar!

must track down a copy of the book. do you know if it is a recent publication or an oldie?

thanks for posting this.

i remember years ago trying a few davidoffs i picked up at an airport duty free. i knew little about cigars at the time but had heard of d'offs. these must have been post the cuban retreat and poorly stored as they were dry, flavourless and would not have inspired anyone to try another cigar if that was their intro.

rob very kindly dropped by recently with an old d'off margaux. what a cigar!

must track down a copy of the book. do you know if it is a recent publication or an oldie?

The book was originally published in German in 2006. I purchased the english translated version, by Econ, online in 2009. You should be able to find a copy on either from ebay or amazon.