cognac - in general

Ken Gargett

Bravo Seng! Which one did you open?

d

None yet. Still on the malts but I am thinking to try the Bache Gabrielsen or AE Dor to get a feel for the 'house style' before going for their other products.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I pulled into Dans last night with plans to buy a VSOP Courvoisier, I ended up walking out with a Hennessy XO Gift Pack for $15 cheaper than the standard bottle and it comes with a nice little hip fla

This thread is going to cost me money.......

i remember (and i guess it would be in one of the videos - colt?) a few years back. i was doing an article on cognac and the various producers sending samples. in the middle of a video with rob, deliv

Camus Borderies has to be my favorite of cognac I just reserve it for a great occasion. Most of the time Im a rum and rye/bourbon guy.

• 8 months later...

My go-to is Delamain XO pale and dry. About $60 a bottle in NJ, much less than comparable XOs from the big brands. Phenomenally good stuff.

I don't drink enough cognac to really want the high dollar stuff, although Camus Borderies XO is really good stuff. I prefer it over regular Camus, Remy, Hennessey and Courvoisier.

With Cognac and Brandy, I really have to be in the right mood for it. When I am , I love it, and love it a lot with cigars.

za8y4esa.jpg

Just got this bottle yesterday. Very long story how I got it, but I got great deal I couldn't refuse and I got to help out a friend.

i remember (and i guess it would be in one of the videos - colt?) a few years back. i was doing an article on cognac and the various producers sending samples. in the middle of a video with rob, delivery man lobbed with a bottle of this. unfortunately, they wanted the leftovers back. yes, there were some leftovers though it was the sort of cognac that one needed to check thoroughly, for the review.

• Like 1

Was it good Ken? I've always wanted this bottle, but could never justify the price.

exceptional, but for me, the 'sell your first born' price is way out of whack. i really think something like the zacapa xo is on a par, at least, in term of quality. obviously a different spirit. also, some of the top ardbegs.

i could also never justify it myself.

exceptional, but for me, the 'sell your first born' price is way out of whack. i really think something like the zacapa xo is on a par, at least, in term of quality. obviously a different spirit. also, some of the top ardbegs.

i could also never justify it myself.

I'll try it soon when my 2nd child is born in October.

I tried the Zacapa xo last night along with the 23 and Zaya. Never had run until yesterday. What a compliment to cigars! The XO is going to be my new go to drink!

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Camus and De La Main for me.

Camus was the shoe in. It's a real shame they don't do lower grades at the LCBO anymore. That discontinued selection was my absolute favourite back then.

Otard is another fantastic one. Best deal at he LCBO in my opinion.

Sent from my BlackBerry Q10 using Tapatalk for Android.

Alright, all you technical guys will get me here, but I buy a lot of:

Marie Duffau Napoleon &

DeLord's Napoleon

Both Armagnacs, and, for me, both much more enjoyable than cognacs twice the price.

Now, I do live in Nashville, TN, so we don't exactly have a great brandy selection available at the local stores.

• 9 months later...

Warming up the glass in your hand (for at least 10 minutes) and preparing your palate (by gently sniffing in the aroma prior to sipping) can greatly affect your enjoyment of cognac. If you do these things you'll find your drink is a lot smoother. Also, like cigar smoking, it's recommended to sip the drink and savour the flavour. Personally, I don't touch anything below VSOP, however, I wouldn't say XO's and above are two to three times better the experience, even though the price is two to three times more at times!

Courvosier recently came out with an age statement line of cognacs. The Courvosier 12 at about $60 USD out the door is a great daily dose of class in my book. Taste parallels a lot of offerings out there at twice the price if not more. Just my humble opinion so give ita try and share your thoughts.

Courvosier recently came out with an age statement line of cognacs. The Courvosier 12 at about $60 USD out the door is a great daily dose of class in my book. Taste parallels a lot of offerings out there at twice the price if not more. Just my humble opinion so give ita try and share your thoughts.

Yes...these Courvoisier offerings (the 12 and 21) are interesting. The 12 is meant to be above the VSOP grade (youngest blend at 4 years but average is more than that) while the 21 is above the XO (youngest blend at 6 years but average blend is often up to 20). I wonder if the 21 will have a name change when XO grading changes from minimum 6 years to 10 years in 2016? $AUD74 for the Courvoisier 12 (similar in price to the VSOP) and $AUD229 for the Courvoisier 21 here in Australia (The XO here in Australia is $100 less!).

post-23478-0-50823200-1420874813_thumb.p

post-23478-0-06549100-1420874816_thumb.p

• 1 year later...

I've enjoyed going over this thread tonight. Specifically, I feel I lived vicariously through those of you who have enjoyed Hennessy Paradis Extra Rare, at $AU800-900 a bottle currently, I guess I'll save up for it one day! I can certainly relate to the love for Remy Martin XO and Camus Borderies XO (I'm looking to get a bottle in the next few months), but if you are looking for one bottle that represents true value for money in cognac, I turn to my old favourite, Hennessy VSOP. For it's price, it's a quality every-day 'type' cognac that won't 'break-the-bank'.

I've enjoyed going over this thread tonight. Specifically, I feel I lived vicariously through those of you who have enjoyed Hennessy Paradis Extra Rare, at $AU800-900 a bottle currently, I guess I'll save up for it one day! I can certainly relate to the love for Remy Martin XO and Camus Borderies XO (I'm looking to get a bottle in the next few months), but if you are looking for one bottle that represents true value for money in cognac, I turn to my old favourite, Hennessy VSOP. For it's price, it's a quality every-day 'type' cognac that won't 'break-the-bank'.

I do like the Remy XO but have not had the Hennessy VSOP. I used to be able to get and really enjoy the Bowen VSOP but haven't been able to get it in Canada for many years now.
  • Like 1