Montecristo No4 GOP SEP 08

asmith

We have smoked a heap of these cigars earlier in the year, they were full of great flavours and structure. We get rid of Ken this week and try what is described as the most popular cigar in the world. How good is this box of Monte No4?

<!--id1--><div><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" /></embed></object></div><!--id2-->

What a shame.. I think a lot of people in recent times have strayed from Monte's due to their inconsistency. I suppose the more they produce the more likely it is there are bad examples, but quantity over quality in the world of Habanos shouldn't exist in my opinion.

Although in saying that, I haven't had a bad #2 for a while now.

I must concur with the findings in the vid, I have two boxes from 08 which have been quite a let down compared to some that I've had in the past..

Rob, what recourse do you have as a dealer when you get shipped, in your opinion, sub par stock? Can you send it back? Are there any QA checks at the plant level that involve smoking some of the cigars to make sure they're where they need to be? Certainly that's subjective, but it seems the boat was completely missed based on this review.

This is the perfect example of why I have difficulties in convincing people that CC's are the pinnacle of cigars. I might have to become a closet Cuban cigar smoker again, and not because of the fear of being arrested for importation. :)

Well F me then :)

I bought a couple singles of these with the same box code in the last 30 days @ Czar hoping to try them out and I probably shouldn't have watched this video before I test them.

I will try to have an open mind when I review them to see if I taste what Rob and Smithers is tasting

Bart

Believe it or not never had one of these. Love the PC format and like Smithy said I just can't get away from BPC or PLPC. Do need to try the Sig II as well.

Best part of the review is at 3:38 where Rob says "Interesting, disappointing. Interesting, disappointing" :buddies:

Rob, what recourse do you have as a dealer when you get shipped, in your opinion, sub par stock? Can you send it back? Are there any QA checks at the plant level that involve smoking some of the cigars to make sure they're where they need to be? Certainly that's subjective, but it seems the boat was completely missed based on this review.

We do send back stock which is visually/construction sub par. Taste is another thing entirely as the distributors have no control.

There are tasters at the factories whose sole job is to taste cigars. Obvioulsy they only taste a minute fraction of what is being produced. Thier tasting criteria is quite regimented.

Thanks for the review guys. Thisbis a cigar which I have never had an itch to buy. He'll I don't own a single box of monte's they just dint do it for me. The only 2 monte's I have enjoyed were the edmundo dante's and the millenium jar robusto's- now those are tasty.

seriously, what ever happened to editing?

nearly ten minutes of that drivel and yet you could only scrape about 5 minutes when we last gave you gold. the cigars were karma.

and it isn't the first fishing article i've done but first in a fishing mag. and yes, nothing actually in it about catching anything.

Sad to hear as I do love Montes. Thanks for the review guys...I was actually thinking of picking up a box of M4s, but I guess I will opt for something else...

Guest blrrobinson21

Here is a dumb question. Would the Monte #2's in 08 be off as well? Im thinking about getting my first CC box and this is what Im leaning torwards.

Here is a dumb question. Would the Monte #2's in 08 be off as well? Im thinking about getting my first CC box and this is what Im leaning torwards.

I got a 10-box of '08 Monte 2s (SEA Jun 08) that were great. You never know until you dive in...

• 2 weeks later...

Monte #4 GOP SEP 08

Light tan color wrapper, dry and a little shoddy in appearance

Pre draw had nice flow, no distinctive aromas

Flavors included sweetness, earthy, woods, hint of spice but not too much

Initial puff was light sweetness and dampy flavors of earth with some light tannins

Sweetness on back of throat

50 mins smoke time

Solid Medium in flavor

A very solid cigar but not great, would buy again but just not now, think there are some better options such as Dip #4

8.9/10

Bart

• 1 year later...

Bought a box of No. 4 (UGA, ENE 10). I am now halfway through. It has been a roller coaster ride... Some plugs, some disappointments, some so-so but this afternoon: a great one! Hope he has brothers left in that box.

But really, if I wanted a roller coaster ride I would have gone to Disneyland.

Bought a box of No. 4 (UGA, ENE 10). I am now halfway through. It has been a roller coaster ride... Some plugs, some disappointments, some so-so but this afternoon: a great one! Hope he has brothers left in that box.

But really, if I wanted a roller coaster ride I would have gone to Disneyland.

Unfortunately, that is the deal with Monte 4s. Hit or Miss, but when the Hit...Splendor.