• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LLC

• Lotusguy

• Raskol

• havanaclub

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An RE Friday with @Nate Chu C&C for a Saturday morning with this Sir Winston from 03. Today is going to be great if this cigar is anything to judge it by. What a super smooth star

First cigar of the year.

C&C ‘14 especiales. Fantastic start to the day C&C with a Monte 4 C&C time today with a Perla picked up from 24:24

On 4/9/2019 at 2:14 AM, Chef said:

That's a beautiful looking wrapper.

When I was looking through my humidor that wrapper caught my eye. That's why I decided to smoke it! :)

• Like 1

Another Masters cigar here. I like to enjoy a Davidoff every so often but this was my first Escurio. Not sure how I feel about the 60rg but liked how some of the mustyness was replaced with more wood/nut compared to the Millennium blend. It had probably the smoothest retrohale I’ve ever experienced. Would have been excellent with a 50rg.

B0266502-5B79-4989-8850-5390BBCB8AC9.thumb.jpeg.c8fb5c28dfbcf83d13bd0637a4a19245.jpeg

The Robusto is better then the Gran Toro IMHO, bought one yesterday in fact from the Davidoff shop in London. Haven't had one in a couple of years and I'm looking forward to it once the weather finally picks up. Nice summer evening cigar.

Sent from 47171 Lempo 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2019 at 10:48 AM, JohnS said:

1316450625_2019-04-0512_54_11.jpg.da1220cb1de1b2d61ad76367696f17ec.jpg

Saint Luis Rey Churchills PUT Dic 2006 (thanks @cfc1016!)

This is another cigar which I have told myself that I'd never get the opportunity to smoke since its sad deletion in 2010, but thanks to the warm generosity of @cfc1016, I can now add this vitola to my list of Saint Luis Rey marca cigars I've smoked over the years. I think of the Saint Luis Rey vitolas deleted since 2000, I'm yet to smoke the Petit Coronas and Coronas (funnily enough).

Before I discuss in further detail the minutiae of this cigar-smoking experience, a quick background of the Saint Luis Rey marca is needed. At the moment the only vitola left in this marca is the Regios, a Hermosos No.4 cigar (48 ring gauge x 127 mm or 5 inches in length). It is very different to the Serie A and Double Coronas, which are believed to be discontinued (but not confirmed by Habanos S.A) on account that box codes for these latter vitolas have not been since 2014 (possibly 2015 at the latest).

Saint Luis Rey is known as a marca which exudes complexity when it's 'on song'. Perhaps the Regios does less so, but aged Saint Luis Rey is quite a thing to behold. I've found them to go bland if left too long after their peak, but in their peak period I feel that they are potentially like no other Habanos cigar when it comes to the variety of flavours they produce and the changes they can exhibit through the thirds. I also have surmised that this 'complexity' has been both a strength and a weakness; a strength in the fact that unless they age too long they aren't one-dimensional and a weakness in that the multitude of flavours makes it a marca which is rarely a 'go-to' rotational choice for cigar enthusiasts and hence the niche market over the years. Perhaps the greatest market for Saint Luis Rey since its inception in the 1940s has been the United Kingdom.

Onto this Churchill! It's vitola dimensions at 47 ring gauge x 178 mm in length (or 7 inches) is now rare due to deletions of this vitola across many marcas, especially in the last 10 to 15 years. Only the Romeo y Julieta Churchill, the Cohiba Esplendidos and the H.Upmann Sir Winston are left in regular production.

I expected upon lighting that this cigar would be quite mild, since it was 12⅓ years old, but to my astonishment the strength in this was around the medium mark and did not let up. This certainly would have 'legs' for some time to come! The initial third saw a strong hit of lemon citrus, fig sweetness and toasted tobacco which gave way to some white pepper, at the beginning of the second third, and chocolate and cocoa. This combined flavour continued into the last third when it unsurprisingly increased in intensity and strong coffee notes prevailed.

Wow, what a ride! Thanks again @cfc1016 for allowing me to sample this cigar and share my thoughts on it for the benefit of our members.

On 4/12/2019 at 10:48 AM, JohnS said:

1316450625_2019-04-0512_54_11.jpg.da1220cb1de1b2d61ad76367696f17ec.jpg

Saint Luis Rey Churchills PUT Dic 2006 (thanks @cfc1016!)

This is another cigar which I have told myself that I'd never get the opportunity to smoke since its sad deletion in 2010, but thanks to the warm generosity of @cfc1016, I can now add this vitola to my list of Saint Luis Rey marca cigars I've smoked over the years. I think of the Saint Luis Rey vitolas deleted since 2000, I'm yet to smoke the Petit Coronas and Coronas (funnily enough).

Before I discuss in further detail the minutiae of this cigar-smoking experience, a quick background of the Saint Luis Rey marca is needed. At the moment the only vitola left in this marca is the Regios, a Hermosos No.4 cigar (48 ring gauge x 127 mm or 5 inches in length). It is very different to the Serie A and Double Coronas, which are believed to be discontinued (but not confirmed by Habanos S.A) on account that box codes for these latter vitolas have not been since 2014 (possibly 2015 at the latest).

Saint Luis Rey is known as a marca which exudes complexity when it's 'on song'. Perhaps the Regios does less so, but aged Saint Luis Rey is quite a thing to behold. I've found them to go bland if left too long after their peak, but in their peak period I feel that they are potentially like no other Habanos cigar when it comes to the variety of flavours they produce and the changes they can exhibit through the thirds. I also have surmised that this 'complexity' has been both a strength and a weakness; a strength in the fact that unless they age too long they aren't one-dimensional and a weakness in that the multitude of flavours makes it a marca which is rarely a 'go-to' rotational choice for cigar enthusiasts and hence the niche market over the years. Perhaps the greatest market for Saint Luis Rey since its inception in the 1940s has been the United Kingdom.

Onto this Churchill! It's vitola dimensions at 47 ring gauge x 178 mm in length (or 7 inches) is now rare due to deletions of this vitola across many marcas, especially in the last 10 to 15 years. Only the Romeo y Julieta Churchill, the Cohiba Esplendidos and the H.Upmann Sir Winston are left in regular production.

I expected upon lighting that this cigar would be quite mild, since it was 12⅓ years old, but to my astonishment the strength in this was around the medium mark and did not let up. This certainly would have 'legs' for some time to come! The initial third saw a strong hit of lemon citrus, fig sweetness and toasted tobacco which gave way to some white pepper, at the beginning of the second third, and chocolate and cocoa. This combined flavour continued into the last third when it unsurprisingly increased in intensity and strong coffee notes prevailed.

Wow, what a ride! Thanks again @cfc1016 for allowing me to sample this cigar and share my thoughts on it for the benefit of our members.

One of my all time favourites! I still have a box squirrelled away somewhere. 

• Like 3