• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LLC

• Raskol

• Lotusguy

• havanaclub

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An RE Friday with @Nate Chu C&C for a Saturday morning with this Sir Winston from 03. Today is going to be great if this cigar is anything to judge it by. What a super smooth star

First cigar of the year.

C&C ‘14 especiales. Fantastic start to the day C&C with a Monte 4 C&C time today with a Perla picked up from 24:24

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

576764600_2019-04-2622_15_54.jpg.4881588d116eea8faea99c4917bc65e5.jpg

Romeo y Julieta Churchills OBM Dic 2016

Similarly to the last cigar I had, the Cohiba Siglo III, I had big expectations for this cigar but was surprised that it dominated in some flavours and not others. You see, the Romeo y Julieta Churchill has not let me down for some time, I think at least the last seven or eight over 12 to 18 months have been great to sensational, but they've all been cherry-laden. This just wasn't 'fruity' really, but I still enjoyed the other flavour that defined it, anise (or alternatively a close similar comparison would be licorice).

And like the Siglo III, the anise was the core flavour from beginning to the end, with some elements of sweet turkish delight, rosewater and toasted tobacco. It still had that Romeo y Julieta 'DNA flavour' to keep me interested and I still nubbed it.

Oh, but if only I had some cherries (or even some berry flavours)!

I'm interested John.   R&J is a brand I dip my toe into with infrequency.   I do LOVE them when they are good, but in a bi-polar fashion I HATE them when they're off their best.   I've currently retreated my holding to Petit Royales, as they are trustworthy nice  expressions of the savoury Cazadore body.

My question really centres around this idea.......the Exhibition 3&4 used to be my go to's for that sweet R&J profile.........where do you now get this hit? from what i've heard buying a recent box of R&J Exhib No 4 would be like putting a gun in ones mouth

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

576764600_2019-04-2622_15_54.jpg.4881588d116eea8faea99c4917bc65e5.jpg

Romeo y Julieta Churchills OBM Dic 2016

Similarly to the last cigar I had, the Cohiba Siglo III, I had big expectations for this cigar but was surprised that it dominated in some flavours and not others. You see, the Romeo y Julieta Churchill has not let me down for some time, I think at least the last seven or eight over 12 to 18 months have been great to sensational, but they've all been cherry-laden. This just wasn't 'fruity' really, but I still enjoyed the other flavour that defined it, anise (or alternatively a close similar comparison would be licorice).

And like the Siglo III, the anise was the core flavour from beginning to the end, with some elements of sweet turkish delight, rosewater and toasted tobacco. It still had that Romeo y Julieta 'DNA flavour' to keep me interested and I still nubbed it.

Oh, but if only I had some cherries (or even some berry flavours)!

The stone fruit flavors you describe were what made the 1990s RyJ Churchill my favorite. Along with a nice med-full body. They slipped and it seems they may be making a comeback. A Brother from another forum mentioned 2017 onwards that they were coming back. I grabbed a box of March 2018 RyJ Churchills and smoked one the other day....much better than the 2015 box I've relegated to golf course status.  Boy, would it be nice if they can revive this historically legendary stick.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Boy, would it be nice if they can revive this historically legendary stick.

Am I missing something?? isn't this what they've been doing thought 16 to 19

6 hours ago, planetary said:

IMG_0728.thumb.jpg.027b1b1d037acb28645dec7beaac4dab.jpg

A modern day classic.   Cream, Apricot, Melon, shortbread.........its all gold.......super tempted to make waves in the 08 box of 50 on the auctions

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, 99call said:

I'm interested John.   R&J is a brand I dip my toe into with infrequency.   I do LOVE them when they are good, but in a bi-polar fashion I HATE them when they're off their best.   I've currently retreated my holding to Petit Royales, as they are trustworthy nice  expressions of the savoury Cazadore body.

My question really centres around this idea.......the Exhibition 3&4 used to be my go to's for that sweet R&J profile.........where do you now get this hit? from what i've heard buying a recent box of R&J Exhib No 4 would be like putting a gun in ones mouth

I am 100% exactly the same and I also know exactly what you mean about 'blandness'. In fact, I've had a tough time convincing our Sydney FoH friends about the recent change in Romeo y Julieta Churchills since 2015/16 (and especially 2017/18) because, like them, I concur that 2014 RyJ Churchills and prior were quite unsavoury for me (and them).

Again, I agree in regards to recent RyJ Exhibicion No 3's and 4's. I don't distinctly remember the RyJ Exhibicion No.3 coming up on a 24:24 listing in the last 4 or 5 years and the RyJ Exhibicion No.4 was last wildly popular throughout 2014/15 (even more so that current Quai d'Orsay stock, if you can believe that).

Of the variety of Romeo y Julieta vitolas I've tried in the last 2 or 3 years the standout for me has been the RyJ Churchills. When I want that RyJ 'hit' I invariably reach for these.

4 minutes ago, db13 said:

I haven’t gotten anise flavors from any recent production Siglo III. Does the anise notes develop with that cigar over time?

Aah yes, I didn't mean to word it that way. The 'anise' flavour was a reference to the RyJ Churchill.

1 minute ago, JohnS said:

Of the variety of Romeo y Julieta vitolas I've tried in the last 2 or 3 years the standout for me has been the RyJ Churchills. When I want that RyJ 'hit' I invariably reach for these.

Many thanks John, In a way I feared this would be the answer. I'm not a lover of the Chruchill/DC format, but will switch up when they're good.  Cheers mate, always informative. 

Would be so nice if there were a super sweet, fragrant floral laden Hermosos No 4 or Coronas Gordas out there............sadly there isnt. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 99call said:

Am I missing something?? isn't this what they've been doing thought 16 to 19

My 2015 box is okay but nothing compared to the heyday (mid 1990s). The 2018 March box shows some very compelling traits of yesteryear. I have not tried 2016-2017 Churchills. I hope they are returning to form. The old gold bands were legendary on my palate. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Wookie said:

The old gold bands were legendary on my palate. 

I agree with you, but I think the reason for this, is that the cigars that donned the old band featured all the best of  savoury and sweet of the R&J profile.   These days the R&J catalogue is split between savoury and sweet. 

• Like 1