• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LLC

• Lotusguy

• Raskol

• havanaclub

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An RE Friday with @Nate Chu C&C for a Saturday morning with this Sir Winston from 03. Today is going to be great if this cigar is anything to judge it by. What a super smooth star

First cigar of the year.

C&C ‘14 especiales. Fantastic start to the day C&C with a Monte 4 C&C time today with a Perla picked up from 24:24

15 minutes ago, JohnS said:

1770052944_2019-06-1517_00_56.jpg.032c925ce3dd9e5820dcb9c4e600055f.jpg

Ramón Allones Gigantes ABO Ene 2019

The Ramon Allones Gigantes represents a Habanos vitola of which there are only four left. At 49 ring gauge x 194 millimetres in length (or 7.6 inches), this Double Corona requires a minimum of 2 hours to smoke. They always seem mild in strength to me when invariably I find the time to smoke one, they definitely are never medium to medium-full. However, together with the Partagas Lusitanias, Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona and Punch Double Corona, they represent a vitola that, unlike Lonsdales and Churchills, hasn't been depleted completely in the last 20 years or so. Still, this hasn't stopped recent rumours circulating that the Gigantes is on the way out. Maybe the Vegas Robaina Don Alejandro and Saint Luis Rey Double Corona's discontinuations has fueled such speculation? I certainly hope not, yet time will tell.

This Gigantes started off really well. There was a beautiful balance of cocoa, light coffee and stewed fruit flavours, but as the cigar reached the end of the first third, the fruit flavours dissipated and the cocoa flavour dominated. I put this down to its youthfulness, those pleasant fruity flavours are there, they just need more time down to express themselves in the future. In comparison to aged RA Gigantes I've had in the past, this cigar was definitely in need of more rest as with significant aging (think something like 10 years) they develop a wondrous baking spice that marries well with the cocoa and fruit flavours.

The construction on this was perfect, however. The ash dropped off in one inch lots each time, the burn was consistent, there were no touch-ups and the draw was spot on too. I know I need to rest these longer but I'm still tempted to see how the next one is from the same box code. Perhaps we'll see in six months or so.

Looking forward and excited to the box of these (same box code) I bought from our host in a 24:24.  

The box is currently in route.  

Thank you for your thoughtful and insightful comments.  

I wisely put my box away in one of my coolidors for at least 5 years. 

BTW gorgeous wrapper on that RAG.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2018 Mag 46 from singles in the store.  Have several of these and won’t touch for a while.  Found it to be
It put off a great aroma but the flavors were muted and singular.  Chalk it up to youth? 
I’m very new to CCs but I’ve now tried Mag 54, Mag 46, No 2 and Connie A and so far Upmann just does nothing for me.  They are all young Upmanns so maybe I need to leave them alone for some time?  I just don’t get any flavor profile as others have described. 
Is it possible my palate just doesn’t taste the flavors of an entire marca?  Should I leave them to rest for a considerable amount of time?  Dry box longer?  Store lower/higher humidity? 
Appreciate the feedback or any similar experiences with Upmann or an entire marca.  Thanks, vets! 

CDB3EAB6-DB46-4060-A971-61DC9FAA77C7.thumb.jpeg.8813188430684fc95b1fa4c3b4623539.jpeg

You have hit some of the best Upmann figurados with that list. If you aren’t liking them yet I would recommend putting them down for at least 3-5 years. I know that’s a long time but those are all good when aged properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, JayHabanos said:

You have hit some of the best Upmann figurados with that list. If you aren’t liking them yet I would recommend putting them down for at least 3-5 years. I know that’s a long time but those are all good when aged properly

Thank you.  I’ll do just that or try to stumble my way in to some aged ones to sample in the meantime.  I read the reviews and want to experience what others are tasting but just haven’t yet.  Gonna try Connie 1s next but a little hesitant based on prior experience. 

• Like 1

Thank you.  I’ll do just that or try to stumble my way in to some aged ones to sample in the meantime.  I read the reviews and want to experience what others are tasting but just haven’t yet.  Gonna try Connie 1s next but a little hesitant based on prior experience. 

Yeah I have some 2017 Connoisseur A that haven’t peaked yet. I have some Connie 1s that are 3 years old and those are still not great. Sometimes they just have to rest...and hope they turn the corner. But I have have them when they are smoking right and it’s a night and day difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JayHabanos said:

But I have have them when they are smoking right and it’s a night and day difference

That’s precisely what I had hoped to hear.  Really appreciate the commentary.  I won’t write off Upmann just yet.  

• Like 1

How was the A? Been going back and forth with the A and B; haven’t had both
Both are very good smokes..young or aged... All boils down to your preference as which you prefer..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Thirds said:

I’m very new to CCs but I’ve now tried Mag 54, Mag 46, No 2 and Connie A and so far Upmann just does nothing for me.  They are all young Upmanns so maybe I need to leave them alone for some time?

I’m not a fan of young Upmann either, maybe excepting the little Half Corona. But some aged Connie A and Mag 46 have been super. So I would just put what you have away for the long term.

On the one hand you have to trust yourself and smoke what you like best. On the other hand, there’s wisdom from the old guard about what ages well - and what tastes people eventually gravitate towards. I’ve never had a Winnie, but I’m definitely on the lookout for a box, even though Upmann is not really my thing at the moment. I figure I’ll be glad in ten years’ time...