• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LLC

• Lotusguy

• Raskol

• havanaclub

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An RE Friday with @Nate Chu C&C for a Saturday morning with this Sir Winston from 03. Today is going to be great if this cigar is anything to judge it by. What a super smooth star

First cigar of the year.

C&C ‘14 especiales. Fantastic start to the day C&C with a Monte 4 C&C time today with a Perla picked up from 24:24

Mr Beaver and I enjoyed a pair of recently acquired 1999 Punch Churchills. He said they were very nice (the best rating he gives any cigar). But then he added: Don't trade any of those ones away.

Which means he really really liked it.

PL Panetella over lunch. Smooth, creamy caramel, toasty tobacco, leather. Just a great little C&C. :ok: And then past the halfway point, massive tar juice buildup. :covermouth:

I've got to figure out why that happens. :tantrum: I've had this happen about five times and so far I've noted the following conditions.

• I've used a punch cut.
  • The weather was on the "cool" side.

This particular stick was a bit spongy, so possibly over-humidified, though to the eye the wrapper looked fine, it didn't burst at the foot etc.

PL Panetella over lunch. Smooth, creamy caramel, toasty tobacco, leather. Just a great little C&C. :ok: And then past the halfway point, massive tar juice buildup. :covermouth:

I've got to figure out why that happens. :tantrum: I've had this happen about five times and so far I've noted the following conditions.

• I've used a punch cut.
  • The weather was on the "cool" side.

This particular stick was a bit spongy, so possibly over-humidified, though to the eye the wrapper looked fine, it didn't burst at the foot etc.

High moisture content or relative humidity, slobber, and restricted draw (reduction in cross sectional area) are all factors that can contribute to tar buildup. This is why I don't like to use punches. I've experienced this with 30 year old cigars, so youth is not a factor.

Had a 1990 ERDM demi tasse. They are decent, but nothing to trade for a left nut. I should have never traded a box of Petit Palatinos for these.

High moisture content or relative humidity, slobber, and restricted draw (reduction in cross sectional area) are all factors that can contribute to tar buildup. This is why I don't like to use punches. I've experienced this with 30 year old cigars, so youth is not a factor.

Hmm... Probably high RH on this stick. Very spongy..but it lit fine and stayed lit. No slobber. I'm not a "wet" smoker. :lookaround: And the draw was fine. Very little effort required, but not a wind tunnel either. I didn't smoke it aggressively either. A puff every 30-60 seconds I'd estimate with the odd double puff. One other observation. This always seem to happen on my smaller RG cigars. I've punched BHK's, 1966's and DC's and this never happened to those sticks. Only on sticks between 38 - 42 RG. :confused:

Started the day on the wrong foot : underfilled & tasteless BHK 52, nothing to write home about, tossed it half-way through and lighted a H.Upmann 1/2 Corona for my second cafe con leche.

Evening : An early '60s La Corona Policromia gifted by Andy Ryan with a bottle of Yellow Spot Bourbon Cask Irish Whisky in the pharmacy office. Dusty, chalky (?), but then it developed very nicely into an interesting smoke.

post-4742-0-52184200-1348524833.jpg

post-4742-0-85036000-1348524840.jpg

La Escepcion ER Italia afterwards that was all peaches & cream, could feel the strength, but it was OK.

post-4742-0-84928500-1348524846.jpg

post-4742-0-72233700-1348524853.jpg

post-4742-0-24236400-1348524859.jpg

B)

Yesterday an ERDM Demi Tasse, followed by a RyJ Petit Julieta and then a 2002 RA Belvederes. They were all great but the RA stood out.

Today a NC named DAG that a lot of people on the German forum love. Absolutely hated it and tossed after less than half :(

post-7384-13485295416331.jpg

post-7384-13485296494754.jpg

post-7384-13485295854635.jpg

Enjoyed a lovely SP Escuderos last night. I first smoked these a couple months ago and I didn't give it enough time. Now, draw and burn were perfect. Wrapper on all of these are top notch. Picked up notes of cedar, hay, coffee and bitter dark chocolate (Godiva). Very enjoyable smoke.