• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LLC

• Lotusguy

• Raskol

• havanaclub

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An RE Friday with @Nate Chu C&C for a Saturday morning with this Sir Winston from 03. Today is going to be great if this cigar is anything to judge it by. What a super smooth star

First cigar of the year.

C&C ‘14 especiales. Fantastic start to the day C&C with a Monte 4 C&C time today with a Perla picked up from 24:24

47 minutes ago, El Hoze said:

I agree wholeheartedly with this John. Just lit up this 2013 after reading your post. I have a dozen or so boxes of DD I am smoking from now. The cabs of 2003 will be the last to get smoked. They’re still going strong. Cheers!

Thank you (and great to hear above the longevity of 2003 des Dieux), @El Hoze!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, mrmessy said:
How is it? The 07 that i have have lost all of it's original spice. All cedar and leather now.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

I enjoyed it immensely! It did not have the “punch” a younger one would but it was smooth and flavorful.

I would add that I’m not the most experienced person to be asking. I have had a few Punch Punch but not anything close to this age. This is the oldest Cuban I have smoked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, JohnS said:

587321544_2020-07-2417_05_24.jpg.14de906efa4cd57c06501a56a59c1ad4.jpg

El Rey del Mundo Taínos 2018 - Edición Regional Formosa SOR Nov 2019

It's been three months since I've last sampled this cigar. Below is what I wrote about this release last time...

The 2018 Asia-Pacific Regional Edition release from Taiwan (hence the band labelled 'Exclusivo Formosa') is an obvious and wondrous gift to cigar enthusiasts who pine for a time when Cuban cigars were 'less' in girth and 'more' in length. Note that I referred to this cigar as a 2018 release. It didn't actually hit the market until mid-2019. It also represents Taiwan's first Regional cigar. Wow...what a cigar to release first up!

The original El Rey del Mundo Tainos had the same dimensions; a Churchill-sized cigar at 47 ring gauge x 178 mm (or 7 inches) in length. Unfortunately, it was discontinued in 2006, as were many other Churchill (and Lonsdale) cigars in the meantime. In regular production we have only three left...the iconic Romeo y Julieta Churchills, the Cohiba Esplendidos and the seasonal H.Upmann Sir Winston. That's why I'm so glad that Pacific Cigar Company, the Habanos Regional distributor for the Asia-Pacific market, brought out a regional release in this vitola.

In comparison to your standard Hermosos No.4 ERdM Choix Supreme, it had a similar ERdM profile: almond, citrus, honey, a little shortbread and a hint of a texture of cake. This was a tad stronger than previous El Rey del Mundo Tainos I had though. It had more elements of forest floor or herbal flavours. Still, with age, I'm confident this cigar will take on more of that cake texture.

Last time I felt that the flavours were slightly closed. This time I felt that the cigar opened up with those trademark El Rey del Mundo candied almond nut, cake and honey flavours that were stupendous from beginning to end.

This cigar, therefore, was spectacular but the question remains...is the El Rey del Mundo Tainos approachable when young more often than not? The answer for me is yes it can be, but only around half the time. The other times make me lament not giving the cigar more time. So, in a 50/50 scenario like this one, whereby the cigar is excellent half the time and average to above average the other half, I'm willing to wait longer until I have my next one. Luckily for me, today's ERdM Tainos was so good!

John, great review as usual. I found my experience fairly similar. The first ERDM Tainos i tried off the Christmas sampler was ditto stupendous. Like Christmas cake! Just a very complex and unique experience. The next one was a bit closed and the last one had construction burn issues. So i have backed off of them for a bit. I think the next one will decide if its long sleep time or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1