• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LLC

• Lotusguy

• Raskol

• havanaclub

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An RE Friday with @Nate Chu C&C for a Saturday morning with this Sir Winston from 03. Today is going to be great if this cigar is anything to judge it by. What a super smooth star

First cigar of the year.

C&C ‘14 especiales. Fantastic start to the day C&C with a Monte 4 C&C time today with a Perla picked up from 24:24

23 minutes ago, JohnS said:

in my thinking.

On the back of your recent honey-a-thon traversing back to front, all of the golden greats of Cohiba..John,  I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the recent focus/quality of Trinidad&QDO and how it equates to current Cohiba in quality.   

It's a question that always interests me. I think back to a time with the old band Fundadores,  where it would have been possible to do a like for like sampling of a Fundy, Lancero and Davidoff no 1,  and speculate as to which was the premo brand.      Of course life isn't that simple, someone cant demand "Bowie, or the Muddy Waters......which is better?" it's an futile question really. 

So I wont ask which is better, but with QDO and Trinidad rising like a phoenix, is the Cohiba crown at least slipping? is it getting hard to sell the brand as the undisputed market leader?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Having said this, I still think that Cohiba is a premium brand but recent Cohiba is not as good as Cohiba from the mid-2010s, for example. This Daily smoking thread is a good guide to following trends and if you go over the pages in this thread in the past few months one could see for themselves the veracity in what I'm saying. There's a lot more image uploads and references to Trinidad than there is for Cohiba currently.

This is definitely amplified further in the latest CC purchases thread. So many boxes of Esmereldas and Media Lunas recently.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JohnS said:

With the release of the Talisman Limited Edition in 2017, I would argue that this was a quality Cohiba release but Habanos S.A re-releasing in 2019 was a foolish step

I couldn't agree more John.  To cheat on the notion of exclusivity is (in this game) a big no no.  In the art world at least if you bought a limited edition of 1-150 you would have some degree of assurance.  It doesn't really matter if the estate of the artists then allows 151 to 5000 to go to the presses. your investment might even go up.      With cigars however, it's all about word of mouth and what's smoking well,  the original run of Talismans might of all been stinkers, where second release of 4949 might have all been golden.   With a consumable the idea of a limited edition is always fraught with tension

Irrespective of investment which is always counter to enjoyment, and not the purpose fo cigars.  I think your statement that Cohiba may not be as good as 2010 stock is an accurate reflection of current standing. 

Ultimately competition for the crown is always a winner for us the consumer. I look forward to the day when QDO, Trinidad and Cohiba all have a standard catalogue Lonsdale, that Rob and Ken can put to the sword, and decide who's king

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2