FOH'ers Daily Smoke

1 hour ago, djrey said:

They age so well don’t they? I’ve been burning through 2013 and 2014 boxes. Stellar and imo could go another 5 years easy.

Absolutely. That Short I had last night was sublime. I almost smoked a second. I have a large stock on different vintages in my collection, 2014 being the oldest. Can never have to many Shorts or BPC if you ask me. 

6 hours ago, mprach024 said:

This is why I freeze everything upon arrival, I’m terrified of this happening.  No matter who it’s from, Prez, other online vendors, or an LCDH.  Day in fridge unwrapped, at least 2 days at 0 F usually wrapped and taped in ziplock or clingwrap with as much air removed, another day in fridge unwrapped, then into my humi.

I should really do this...

• Like 4

• Replies 87.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LLC

• Lotusguy

• Raskol

• havanaclub

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An RE Friday with @Nate Chu C&C for a Saturday morning with this Sir Winston from 03. Today is going to be great if this cigar is anything to judge it by. What a super smooth star

First cigar of the year.

C&C ‘14 especiales. Fantastic start to the day C&C with a Monte 4 C&C time today with a Perla picked up from 24:24

5 hours ago, mprach024 said:

This is why I freeze everything upon arrival, I’m terrified of this happening.  No matter who it’s from, Prez, other online vendors, or an LCDH.  Day in fridge unwrapped, at least 2 days at 0 F usually wrapped and taped in ziplock or clingwrap with as much air removed, another day in fridge unwrapped, then into my humi.

17 minutes ago, NicPac said:

I should really do this...

Is this a common practice? Can’t say I’ve ever done it. Haven’t had a problem yet (knock on wood) but rh/temps don’t get out of hand in my coolers.

9 minutes ago, bkdash said:

Is this a common practice? Can’t say I’ve ever done it. Haven’t had a problem yet (knock on wood) but rh/temps don’t get out of hand in my coolers.

It's best practice for anything bought in Cuba. Cigars for export are supposed to be frozen before they leave the island. Some freeze anyway just in case.

You'll be fine as long as your temp is 65F/18C or below. Above 70F/21C you get really into the danger zone (assuming the cigars were not frozen and have beetles to hatch).

11 minutes ago, Bijan said:

It's best practice for anything bought in Cuba. Cigars for export are supposed to be frozen before they leave the island. Some freeze anyway just in case.

You'll be fine as long as your temp is 65F/18C or below. Above 70F/21C you get really into the danger zone (assuming the cigars were not frozen and have beetles to hatch).

Understood. I’ve had stints of temps in the lower 70Fs but not usually for very long. Need to think about a larger humidor with active cooling for the future. For now I’ll continue to check on the boxes frequently.

26 minutes ago, bkdash said:

Understood. I’ve had stints of temps in the lower 70Fs but not usually for very long. Need to think about a larger humidor with active cooling for the future. For now I’ll continue to check on the boxes frequently.

There was a paper I'll try to find that showed that if you store at a a low enough temperature for long enough it would have the same effect as freezing. Forget if it was 40F or 50F.

Edit: I think it's a pretty low temperature. So freezing is still your best bet.

4 hours ago, NicPac said:
10 hours ago, mprach024 said:

I should really do this..

If anything, I find it reduces that “sick” period after arrival.  45 days and I find the ammonia is gone vs 90+ when I don’t freeze.  This is my personal findings and should not be mistaken to be in any way scientifically accepted ?.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Meklown said:

Upmann anejados. Disaster today - opened one of my (little used) desktop humidors to find it completely infested with beetles. No idea where they came from, all the cigars have been in there for more than a year, and had not displayed any issues prior to going into that humidor. No new stock has gone in for a long time. 

Might they have been inactive while in the previous storage but became active now? 

Will isolate sticks, freeze, and smoke over the following days. Luckily for me it's only around 30-40 sticks, and nothing expensive - monte 2s, rass, few more of these upmanns, party mad 1s, and 2x3 culebras. Try to expose the emptied humidor to sunshine as well. 

Any thoughts?

PXL_20201111_140208165.jpg

I had a mini scare a few weeks ago but turned out they were not cigar beetles but paper ones as there were no holes in the cigars but i still isolated and froze the boxes anyway and vac sealed the rest of my stock in case.

Glad it wasn't your main stash that was affected.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, VKUTT said:

Fairly recent discovery of mine as well. Those and the Siglo IIs are the best Cohibas IMO. 

May I ask how old that one was?

Oh, and by the way...GO RAIDERS!!

Not sure of age, as I purchased them as singles.  I have a 5-pack of.  III’s that are enjoying a world tour at the moment - looking forward to trying them.  Haven’t had the II yet.  Wanted to see what the Cohiba hype was all about, and with my limited experience, I get it!

And yes...... HOW ‘BOUT THEM RRRRRRAAAAAAAAIIIDDDUUUUUHHHHZZZZZZZZ?!?!?!!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mprach024 said:

Sorry to hear this.  I’d Chuck everything as it’s too risky and probably already contaminated.  I’d sterilize that humidor with rubbing alcohol to kill any eggs, let that completely dry for a couple weeks for the alcohol to dissipate with lid open, then wipe it down with distilled water, let it dry again, and then I’d restart the prepping/seasoning process.    

Im going to guess you got some NCs in that humidor?  Or sticks direct from Cuba?  At some point it got too hot in that box, maybe the angle of the sun this time of year was shining on it?

I'm rather cheap and I don't think there would be harm in smoking all the cigars with holes in them - unless there are other opinions otherwise? I suppose the beetles wouldn't be poisonous (assuming they are still inside) and/or any excrement would be fine? Sounds disgusting but I suppose it is highly likely that they have always been there (in Cuba, before being frozen). 

The RASS and Monte 2s were from FOH and the others were all from one other retailer. I actually suspect it would be the temperature increase this summer that caused the eggs to (finally) hatch. 

1 hour ago, KavalanWhisky said:

I had a mini scare a few weeks ago but turned out they were not cigar beetles but paper ones as there were no holes in the cigars but i still isolated and froze the boxes anyway and vac sealed the rest of my stock in case.

Glad it wasn't your main stash that was affected.

That's great that your stock wasn't affected. I also plastic wrap all my aging boxes individually - to keep the beetles and myself out!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, westg said:

A stunning 2003 Hoyo du Dauphin . Just look at it....in my top three for this year a little longer and much fatter would be niceIMG_20201112_210501_816.jpg.705fecb76025984a536e75f013f0f31b.jpg

Hahahahaha ?

I love those skinnies. Wish they still made as many as the olden days.

• Like 4