Montecristo Especial LSO JUN 07

asmith

How does the Montecristo Especial size up against the Fonseca No 1.

<!--id1--><div><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" /></embed></object></div><!--id2-->

Interesting tht you guys identified the 1997 example of this cigar that I sent you to taste blind as a Vegueros.

Maybe I should try the younger ones.

van, i'd forgotten that. might have simply been an underperformer on the day as this one was terrific. and while i smoke far less of these than rob, they normally impress.

That was just a sensational cigar and one of the best of the year. The richness and complexity was the outstanding component but it has been a hallmark for sometime with these younger specimens.

For years I have been standing on the soap box telling everyone that would listen that Thin Ring Gauge Habanos are the best of the best! One flavor that I have often tasted in the Especial No.1 is gingerbread. For both Rob to rate the Especial a 92 and Ken to rate it a 93 says a lot about this cigar!

For years I have been standing on the soap box telling everyone that would listen that Thin Ring Gauge Habanos are the best of the best!

Is your theory the same as Ayala's that it makes him feel smarter when he holds one?

Had one the other night from '00. Was nice, but underwhelming. On the other hand, I can't imagine the quality of cubans being exported to Russia 9 years ago would be anything better than rubbish.

Looking forward to trying the Czar stock as soon as I get my bloody humi fixed!

Great review guys. I've tried the Espy 2 and have an Espy in the humi now. Will have to give her a try time permitting.

van, i'd forgotten that. might have simply been an underperformer on the day as this one was terrific. and while i smoke far less of these than rob, they normally impress.

I think you lot have conditioned your palates to prefer the flavors of younger/newer cigars. Not that there's anything wrong with that. To your tastes perhaps the 12 year old model was simply past its prime. I smoked one from the same box that your blind samples came from last night, and I thought it was fantastic, but it certainly didn't have the earmarks of a cigar with under 2 years on it.

I think you lot have conditioned your palates to prefer the flavors of younger/newer cigars. Not that there's anything wrong with that. To your tastes perhaps the 12 year old model was simply past its prime. I smoked one from the same box that your blind samples came from last night, and I thought it was fantastic, but it certainly didn't have the earmarks of a cigar with under 2 years on it.

van, i strongly suspect that you are right. on one hand, i know how much i enjoy a cigar with some age where a bit of complexity has crept in and the rough edges of youth dismissed, but i think that most people, including me, smoke most of our cigars young (far too young) and so are attuned to those flavour profiles. it should not make any difference if it is blind or not but i am certain that had we known the age, we would have been thinking accordingly. to me, human nature.

it is an argument i have run for some time with wine. people talk about putting wine in cellars and ageing this and that and some do but the vast majority do not. they drink wine young. can't tell you how many times i've been asked, 'but won't it go off?'.

an extraordinary 98% of wine purchased in australia (and i suspect the UK and USA) is consumed within 24 hours of purchase. and that is a figure that has been steady for quite some time.

people know what young wine tastes like. they do not know what mature wine is like. if you served most people an 05 latour or a '61, both sensational wines but the 05 surely way way too young, i have no doubt that most people would be all over the young wine and wonder what the hell the old was about.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Great video guys and Rob, I believe I smoked my first Especial on your recommendation in NZ. It was fantastic and I remember well, it was just outside Martinborough mid-day with sun shining down and a bottle of St. Clair Pioneer Block Sauv Blanc. Good times.