FORMULA 1 - 2010

Jerez testing review

Oz If i had to make one prediction i would stick my neck out and say that KOBAYASHI is the one to watch lets hope the car can do him justice ,i believe that he is a real talent and fearless .

Oz :lol:

I think you're spot on mate! :o

Look at his form at the end races of last season, a little unpolished but no way near as reckless as most Japanese drivers in previous years like Sato who was fast but had no control. (No offence to the Japanese).

Kobayasi will do well with more experience because he already has such natural talent. Perhaps the best Japanese driver ever who could, provided he continues to drive well, win some races if not podiums. Great prediction OZ. :thumbsup:

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schumacher Q&A:

Never say never again! The phrase may have been coined for James Bond, but the same also goes for a Formula One driver, especially when that driver is seven-time Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher. Not just the most controversial man in F1 history, Schumacher, at 41 years-old, is also the oldest driver on the 2010 grid, with a full three years’ absence from the sport to make up for. However, if his recent test times in the Mercedes count for anything, he’s still the same as he always was - and far from rusty…

post-5203-1266285704.jpg

Q: Are you aware that you are a love-hate figure?

Michael Schumacher: I simply think that if you are around as long as I have been there will always be people who follow you more and some who follow you less. But to be able to be around for so long, I sometimes had to close myself up a bit. It may be the same again this time.

post-5203-1266285732.jpg

Q: Lately you have given the impression of caring a little bit more about what people think of you?

MS: Well, let's see how the season develops. It was a very sudden decision, so we all have to get used to see me driving again - myself included…

post-5203-1266285762.jpg

Q: You said you felt like a kid with a new toy when you drove at Valencia last week. Are you still as keen on your new toy?

MS: Definitely, yes. To drive a car like this again, it was just that great old feeling I know so well. Nothing comes close. I love that sensation, I always did. It was just that my batteries were empty at the end of 2006 that I retired. I would not have wanted to go on. Now my batteries are fully loaded again!

post-5203-1266285782.jpg

Q: To race for an afternoon is one thing, but adjusting to normal test duties beyond the 100 laps marker is quite another. Did that still feel okay?

MS: It felt just great. No problem at all, just pure fun.

post-5203-1266285822.jpg

Q: Your doctor, Johannes Peil, was at the track at Valencia, but was not in Jerez. Are you both now sure you’re fully prepared?

MS: He was in Valencia to do some checks, as he has been with me very often in the past. We wanted to make sure I am best prepared, and obviously I am, as we both didn’t see the necessity to have him join me in Jerez.

Q: How is your relationship with team mate Nico Rosberg developing? Ross Brawn hopes that you will help him to mature; Nico hopes you’ll share with him the secret of winning. What will it be?

MS: How could I know? Unfortunately I cannot look into the future. But I do not expect anything else but for it to be fine. At the moment it is very constructive and I don’t expect that to change. For once it is quite a good feeling to be able to communicate in my mother tongue, and at the moment we are ‘neighbours’ as our motor homes are right beside each other here in the paddock.

Q: Up until now you have planned your career and image very carefully, but this new phase seems more adventurous. Do you have an idea of what this season will be like?

MS: Again, unfortunately I am not somebody to predict the future. I believe in this team, and this belief in the challenge is enough for me. I love the competition, and I look forward to taking the chance.

Q: You could always measure the quality of your cars. What are you feeling about the MGP W01?

MS: I am fully convinced that we have a car that is able to fight for the championship. Where we are exactly is hard to say. This is especially true for me as I don’t have the data from last year’s car.

Q: There is barely a month to go until the season opener in Bahrain. What is your schedule until then?

MS: We will focus on the elimination of any teething problems, try to optimize the car, start to work on the fine tuning and get reliability by doing mileage. Then let’s see what Bahrain brings.

post-5203-1266285808.jpg

Massa's shocked by Heidfeld's absence

massacrop_2398093.jpg

Felipe Massa admits he's surprised that Nick Heidfeld had to settle for a test driver role at Mercedes GP.

With BMW withdrawing from Formula One last season and the team's ownership reverting back to Peter Sauber, Heidfeld was left

without a 2010 race-seat.

And although the German, who made his debut back in 2000 with Prost, was confident of finding a drive, it wasn't long before

driver announcements were being made and Heidfeld's name was conspicuous by its absence.

Mercedes GP came to his rescue, offering the German a test driver role to complete their all-German line-up of Nico Rosberg

and Michael Schumacher.

Massa, though, says he's surprised that Heidfeld was left out, especially looking at some of the names on this year's grid.

"Why has no one offered my former team-mate Nick Heidfeld a good race-seat?" he told Swiss newspaper Blick.

"If I look at this year's field in such a way, then he belongs in Formula One - not as a test driver."

MIKA: Indeed he does deserve better than what he has. :angry:

In my opinion, NH is far better than Rosberg, perhaps it should be reversed around?

The problem with Heidfeld I believe is that he needs a better manager/agent who can sell NH to the media etc. Heidfeld is an achiever who is consistant but overlooked, why, I do not know? He still has many years left in him, it's a shame but you never know what can be around the next corner.

MIKA: Indeed he does deserve better than what he has.

In my opinion, NH is far better than Rosberg, perhaps it should be reversed around?

The problem with Heidfeld I believe is that he needs a better manager/agent who can sell NH to the media etc. Heidfeld is an achiever who is consistant but overlooked, why, I do not know? He still has many years left in him, it's a shame but you never know what can be around the next corner.

Could not agree more Mika,there are drivers in this years field than truly do not belong,as the seasons results will testify :party:

Oz :2thumbs:

Massa laughs at rumours of Alonso discord

Felipe_Massa_F2008_test_04.jpg

Felipe Massa has clarified that his relationship with his new teammate Fernando Alonso is fully intact.

Last week, Alonso played down an erupting controversy between his Brazilian cohort and the Spanish press, following the publication of comments made by Massa.

Massa, 28, denies that his pairing with Alonso could be fiery this year, given their public row at the Nurburgring some years ago, and the Spaniard's spectacular falling out with McLaren in 2007.

Asked about his reportedly troubled relationship with Alonso, Massa said: "When I read things like that I just laugh, because I know it is invented.

"There is a great atmosphere in the team, and there could not be trouble between us. Ferrari would not allow it," he said in an interview with La Nueva Espana.

Massa said he was "positively surprised" by Alonso when the 2005 and 2006 world champion arrived at Ferrari.

"He is very smart and quiet, with his feet on the ground, he knows how to work together and learn fast," the Brazilian explained.

In the same interview, Massa also clarified a paddock myth that his first visit to the paddock was as a food delivery truck driver in 2000, two years prior to his Sauber debut.

"More or less," he smiled when asked whether the story is right. "I was already a (racing) driver, but my pass was only for Friday.

"My agent had a restaurant and was doing catering for the Benetton team, so I drove an old van to the (Interlagos) circuit and stayed after that."

Ralf denies having shoulder surgery

ralf_schumacher_bmw-sauber.jpg

Ralf Schumacher has denied injuring his shoulder so badly that it required surgery.

Last week, the Cologne publication Express said the 34-year-old German fell heavily whilst skiing in mid January and had to have his right shoulder operated on.

The report said the former 6-time GP winner wanted the injury and his recuperation to remain secret because it might affect his chances of returning to F1 this season.

"I know nothing about it," Schumacher said. "I have merely bruised my shoulder and had no operations."

Mercedes, Schumacher's current employer in the German touring car series DTM, confirmed the denial and added: "We believe our driver."

Michelin could make 2011 return

post-5203-1266334085.jpg

A senior Michelin figure has revealed the French tyre manufacturer is in talks with the FIA over a possible return to Formula 1 next year – but says it would only agree to become the sport’s sole tyre supplier if certain conditions were met.

Bridgestone announced towards the end of last year that it would not be seeking to renew its contract to provide tyres to the championship when its exclusive three-year deal expires at the end of 2010.

Michelin, which went head-to-head with its Japanese rival during F1’s last tyre war in 2001-2006, quit the sport four years ago after the FIA revealed plans to have a single tyre manufacturer for all the teams from 2008.

However, a comeback for the French firm as the next sole tyre supplier could be on the cards after one of its managing partners Jean-Dominique Senard told Bloomberg that it was holding “formal discussions” with the FIA.

“We might consider returning but there are some very clear conditions,” Senard told the news agency.

He said that any Michelin return would require a change in the tyre regulations from 2011 so to “show the performance they can bring, notably in terms of fuel saving and CO2 reductions”.

Michelin won both world championship titles in each of their final two F1 seasons with Renault in 2005-2006, bringing to an end Ferrari and Bridgestone’s domination of the sport in the first half of the decade.

The company’s relationship with the FIA had deteriorated, however, following the disastrous US Grand Prix in 2005 when after bringing tyres which were deemed unsafe to race a six-car race took place between the Bridgestone-shod teams after the sport’s stakeholders failed to agree a compromise solution.

Michelin's first F1 foray came between 1977 and 1984

Oz will be interesting to see how much the times change up/down after bridgestone quits ,should bring perelli back as well ,nothing like a good tyre war B)

OZ :cigar:

Michelin could make 2011 return

Oz will be interesting to see how much the times change up/down after bridgestone quits ,should bring perelli back as well ,nothing like a good tyre war :P

OZ <_<

It will be good to see Michellin back mate however I doubt Pirelli would make a return as I think I read as well as posted in 2009's F1 thread that Pirelli were not interested. I guess things do change and they may reconsider. :(

Heavy rain forecast for Jerez

PF1-Gallery-Jerez-Test-1_2419038.jpg

Preparations for the new season are set to suffer further - and potentially serious - disruption this week with heavy rain forecast for all four days of the upcoming Jerez test.

If the weather forecasters are to be trusted - a somewhat hazardous undertaking itself - then this week's test will fail to witness a single day of dry running. Heavy rain is predicted from Wednesday to Saturday, a forecast that will be greeted with varying degrees of concern and disappointment by the eleven teams scheduled to run.

However, the teams who will be the most adversely effected if the rain does arrive will be Red Bull and newcomers Virgin and Lotus. With Red Bull opting to skip the Valencia test, Virgin only completing a handful of dry laps in Jerez last week, and Lotus aiming to debut this week, all three teams are now facing up to the very real prospect of arriving in Bahrain for the opening grand prix of the season with their dry-running preparations almost exclusively limited to the Barcelona test scheduled for the end of the February - provided, of course, that the Barca test isn't also disrupted by rain.

MIKA: This will be challenging for all involved especially Lotus who could do with some decent testing to work on their new racer. More importantly, I do hope nobody is hurt or injured. (Maybe Rosberg a little so Heidfeld can step in... <_<)

Kubica feeling at home at Renault

Robert-Kubica_2418508.jpg

Robert Kubica is enjoying life at his new team Renault, saying everything "has been just as I expected".

The Pole swapped BMW for the French squad at the end of this year and says everyone is determined to help the team to move back up the grid this year.

"It already feels like home and it's a nice group of people to work with," he is quoted on the Renault website. "I had an idea of what Renault would be like before I joined and it has been just as I expected."

"The team is very motivated and looking forward to the big challenge we have ahead of us to bring Renault back to the front of the grid. Everybody is working hard and it was nice to see such a quick response from the guys in the factory to make the changes we needed after the Valencia test in time for Jerez."

Renault made good progress during last week's test in Jerez, and Kubica predicts there will be further improvements this week.

"Although the bad weather has affected our track time, we've made a lot of progress, particularly last week in Jerez where we found some good performance," he said.

"What is important is that the car is not too sensitive and that makes it easier to find a good set-up. There are a few things still to come for the other tests that will make me feel even better in the car and which will also make it quicker, but we're definitely moving in the right direction."

MIKA: Hopefully Kubica can now show everyone what he is or is not made of. There was alot of hype about this guys talent and whilst RK is a good driver, I myself am still not convinced he is as great a talent as most claim.

Lopez: I would like to have Valles as a team-mate

Adrian-Valles_2415813.jpg

Adrian Valles' hopes of securing a race seat at USF1 have received a big boost with Jose Maria Lopez giving him his full backing.

Rookies USF1 are yet to confirm Lopez's partner for this year and Valles, a 2009 Superleague Champ with Liverpool as well as a former Midland and Spyker test driver, has been linked with the vacant seat. F2 Champion Andy Soucek has also been mentioned as a candidate.

Argentinean Lopez says he would welcome Spaniard Valles as team-mate.

"I would very much like to have Adrian as a team-mate for a lot of reasons," he told Marca.

"First, he is young, talented and with a lot of experience. Second, because I know him from the time when we were together in the Renault development programme.

"It's hard to talk about another driver. A lot of times they have to be judged by the car they are driving or by the team with which they have been, but Adrian has done well in all the categories he has been in, and that shows he is a talented driver."

Lopez is also confident joining USF1 was the right choice, despite persistent rumours that the team won't be on the grid this year due to financial difficulties.

"Of course it's worth it," he said. "I've fought a lot to achieve this and I've been through a lot of things. It's a chance to return to the top category in motorsport.

"I'm going to give 100 per cent to stay in Formula 1."

MIKA: I would have thought Lopezs' first wish should be to have a car ready to race for himself before musing about who he would want to have as a team mate!!! Even better - to have a car to test before racing...now that's a HUGE ask! :P<_<

Schumi: Don't get too used to the new me

Michael-Schumacher_2419607.jpg

Michael Schumacher has warned that he might have to "close himself up a bit" in an attempt to protect his privacy.

During the height of his career, Schumacher was often seen as ruthless and arrogant due to his performances on the track, but very few people got to see the other side of him as he was very private man. When it came to the fans, there was no middle ground as you either loved the man or hated him.

However, since announcing his comeback to the sport, the seven-times World Champion appears to have mellowed a bit and many of those in the anti-Schumacher camp are more than happy to see him back.

The 41-year-old, though, is aware that he's not everyone's cup of tea.

When asked by the official Formula One website about being a love-hate figure, Schumacher answered: "I simply think that if you are around as long as I have been there will always be people who follow you more and some who follow you less.

"But to be able to be around for so long, I sometimes had to close myself up a bit. It may be the same again this time."

As for appearing to care a little bit more what people think of him, Schumi warns against forming an opinion so early in the season.

"Well, let's see how the season develops. It was a very sudden decision, so we all have to get used to see me driving again - myself included..."

Schumacher is teaming up with fellow German Nico Rosberg at Mercedes GP, but he is confident they will have a good relationship.

"Unfortunately I cannot look into the future," he said. "But I do not expect anything else but for it to be fine. At the moment it is very constructive and I don't expect that to change.

"For once it is quite a good feeling to be able to communicate in my mother tongue, and at the moment we are 'neighbours' as our motor homes are right beside each other here in the paddock."

MIKA: I was never a HUGE MS fan primarily because I was a MIKA HAKKINEN fan and I loved the duels they both shared.

Having said this, MS is the king of F1 and he deserves all the accolades and admiration for his achievements. To say he was or is arrogant I don't agree with, I feel it was more 'focus' based which is why he has achived so much more than anyone ever could have.

To say Senna was passionate and MS arrogant is ridiculous because my opinion on Senna was that he too came accross as somewhat arrogant to myself but like any sport or job, the most focused are the people who succeed and achieve.

Stefan GP pushing for new 14th slot

Stefan_GP_Toyota_2010.jpg

Stefan GP is pushing to secure a fourteenth team entry for the 2010 season, boss Zoran Stefanovic has confirmed.

It has been reported that the Serbian outfit, not yet a feature of this year's official entry list, is hoping to be counted among the maximum 13 teams by waiting for beleaguered Campos or USF1 to drop out.

But FIA president Jean Todt warned recently that no team would necessarily gain automatic entry should the number of competitors diminish.

Like Stefan, Sauber pushed to become F1's 14th team late last season, but ultimately only achieved an official entry after Toyota pulled out of the sport.

Stefanovic is quoted by the British newspaper The Sun as confirming that he wants the FIA to open up an entirely new slot on the 2010 grid.

"We think this is the best way to solve the problem," he said.

"We are absolutely aware that the system of granting entries is through the FIA. So we are not expecting someone to give us an entry immediately," he added.

Stefanovic revealed that, even though some equipment has been sent in advance to the early venues on the 2010 calendar, staff and the actual cars will only follow if an official entry is granted.

Nick Fry remains CEO at Mercedes GP

nick_fry_brawn.jpg

Contrary to reports, Nick Fry has not left Mercedes GP.

The original internet report has been withdrawn by the website in question, even though it does appear that some restructuring of the former Brawn outfit has taken place in the wake of the takeover by the German carmaker.

Representatives of new shareholders Daimler and Aabar, including Norbert Haug, have joined a new executive committee, with the likes of Fry and Brawn lawyer Caroline McGrory believed to have stepped aside.

But a Mercedes GP spokeswoman said on Tuesday: "I can confirm that Nick Fry remains at the team in the position of chief executive officer."

Vettel thinks it’s close at the front

56626_2.jpg

Sebastian Vettel believes the established top four teams will be closely matched this season based on the early indications from testing – but admits the picture is far from clear given the uncertainty over the fuel loads they have been running with.

Ferrari was fastest on all three days of the initial Valencia test, while McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton emerged on top of last week’s four-day session at Jerez.

But with unexpected interlopers like Sauber and Toro Rosso setting some eye-catching times, and Vettel’s Red Bull team yet to show its anticipated strength, Vettel remains unsure of the overall pecking order.

“It is still impossible to say,” the young German told the official Formula 1 website.

“Due to different fuel loads, lap times can vary by two, three or four seconds.

We concentrated on ourselves and were able to make a step forward. We tried some things and pushed the car a bit more in my direction.”

Despite all the question marks, and the surprisingly stark visual differences between the various new cars, Vettel senses that there is little to choose between last year’s top four teams.

“I think the biggest surprise is when you look at everyone,” he said.

“If you look at the cars they are not just different colours but also different shapes, with a different philosophy behind their design.

“They are all more or less close together, within a couple of tenths – so ourselves, Ferrari, McLaren and Mercedes I think are pretty close.

“But the Toro Rosso looks quite strong as well. If you read into the lap times a bit, it is fairly close.

“There are a lot of things still to happen before Bahrain, and a lot of new parts coming for us, and of course for the other teams as well.

“But so far it looks very close.”

Red Bull had a less than perfect first test with its new RB6 challenger, an oil leak on Wednesday and a fuel pump failure on Saturday costing it precious dry weather track time.

But it still logged more than 800 miles, and Vettel is cautiously optimistic about the car’s potential.

“I'm pretty happy balance-wise,” he said.

“I think the car is a step forward, not only in terms of numbers but also in terms of my own feeling.

“To be fair we haven’t had a lot of time in the dry yet, and that is where you usually find out most.”

Testing resumes at Jerez on Wednesday, with more rain expected to interrupt the proceedings over the four-day session.

MIKA: Vettel will be a contender for this years WC, it will be close provided RBR have a sound vehicle.

MIKA: Vettel will be a contender for this years WC, it will be close provided RBR have a sound vehicle.

Close but hopefuly his team mate can pip him at the post ;)

Can u tell I am not a huge Vettel fan (His perceived arrogance :P )

As for the testing I think it is a bit like qualifying las t year YOU HAVE to put in a Banker lap in,you would think the F.I.A would be a bit more flexible with testing sessions if by some chance they are washed out ,but on the other hand it is up to teams to take advantage of the good weather.

Oz :angry:

Close but hopefuly his team mate can pip him at the post :P

Can u tell I am not a huge Vettel fan (His perceived arrogance :P )

As for the testing I think it is a bit like qualifying last year YOU HAVE to put in a Banker lap in,you would think the F.I.A would be a bit more flexible with testing sessions if by some chance they are washed out ,but on the other hand it is up to teams to take advantage of the good weather.

Oz :angry:

I must say I don't really like Vettel either. He is ok, a great talent but he is young and a little 'Cocky' for my liking. Perhaps like most, he will mature in time.

As for testing flexibility, I must agree and by that I mean, with such torrential rain that has been the case, surely they (FIA) could 'Bend the rules' and allow additional testing for teams that have no dry weather testing hours or perhaps move the testing elsewhere. ;)

People such as Barrichello and Massa who are wet weather kings would be relishing this opportunity.

Not The F1 News: The Virgin Festival Of Speed :lol:

Timo-Glock-Virgin-Racing-Shakedown_2415797.jpg

After the debut of the beautiful Virgin VR-01 at Jerez, the test is being renamed the Virgin Festival of Speed. Find out why...

VIRGIN TESTERS :blink:

The Virgin grand prix car, the VR-01, has finally hit the track in Jerez and is already breaking records! Having been 17 seconds off the pace on Wednesday, the team were ten seconds off the pace on Thursday. Thus in just a single day the team improved their car by a massive seven seconds.

RECALIBRATING THE SPEED TRAPS :party:

Virgin team boss John Booth has moved quickly to dispel any talk that their new car might start the season seven or eight seconds a lap slower than the front runners. In a press statement the Virgin team boss said that Timo Glock would have been a lot quicker, but telemetry showed that he failed to take the handbrake off.

CANADIAN GROUNDHOGS BREATH SIGH OF RELIEF

Virgin's testing was halted while the team sent back to the UK for replacement parts - a big roller for the front and a big roller for the back. Now, where's that freshly-laid tarmac...

THE HARE AND THE TORTOISE...AND THE VR-01 :blush:

There was gossip sweeping the pitlane in Jerez that Richard Branson wants his F1 car to be a reflection of his Virgin broadband service - looks good on paper but it's slower than you expected it to be (for no explained reason).

NO WIND TUNNEL REQUIRED

Following the debut of the VR-01 in Jerez, the PF1 news team have been trying to find any moving wheeled object that might be slower than the 'revolutionary' Nick Wirth-designed car.

Having discounted a catering-size wheelie bin as "way too fast", they settled on a dead heat between the space shuttle on its way to the launch pad and a portakabin on casters. ;)

AGAINST ALL ODDS :)

Bookmakers have already adjusted their prices following the track times at Jerez. Odds on Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa have lengthened while those on Kamui Kobayashi have been slashed. Anyone placing £10 on Timo Glock to win the driver's crown could single-handedly rescue the economy of Greece if he wins.

AND FINALLY... 'BORAT GP'

Not content with sending a container load of "race equipment" to the Bahrain GP to show they mean business, the Serbian GP team, Stefan GP, have announced they are sending another container of "support equipment" to the Malaysian GP. Thus proving they have at the bare minimum two container loads of equipment along with a photograph of a Toyota GP car.

Jerez: Vettel holds off a late-charging Hamilton

387732.jpg

Sebastian Vettel emerged the victor on the opening day of testing at Jerez where once again the drivers had to contend with rain and red flags.

The session started on a wet track with two red flags in the opening hour alone. Lewis Hamilton brought out the first when his MP4-25 stopped out on track while minutes after the restart Paul di Resta spun his Force India, blocking the track.

Once under, there was a three hour stint were only light drizzle fell on occasions and no red flags were seen. This allowed the drivers to get down to some serious running before Rubens Barrichello brought the session to a temporary halt when his Williams came to a halt.

Shortly after the session resumed, Hamilton launched his attack on the timesheets. The McLaren driver took control putting his car into the 1:24s despite having been confined to McLaren's garage for almost two hours while his team worked on his car.

Felipe Massa then jumped the McLaren driver, putting his F10 into the P1 slot with a 1:23s. However, not even 20 minutes later, he brought out the day's fourth red flag.

The Brazilian came to a stand still out on track and there was a desperate rush to ensure that the rear of his F10 was overed before the car was towed back to the pits.

"Another usual problem for Felipe, who stopped in the track," Ferrari said of the incident.

Massa spent almost three hours in the Ferrari garage while his mechanics fixed the problem, returning to the track later sans the black bag covering the rear.

And while the Ferrari driver was in the pits the track dried out, allowing Vettel to storm into the lead with a 1:22.593.

With more rain following, the Red Bull racer held onto the position and was still in P1 when Barrichello brought out the final red flag of the day when he stopped out on the back straight.

There was a mad dash in the final 12 minutes, however, none of the drivers were able to overhaul Vettel and he finished P1, 0.424s ahead of Hamilton

Massa was third for Ferrari, finishing a tenth up on fourth-placed Buemi while de la Rosa was a further 0.045s adrift.

Michael Schumacher was next in line, taking sixth place ahead of regular Force India driver Adrian Sutil and the team's tester di Resta. Sutil, though, only spent less than two hours on the track having taken over from di Resta late in the afternoon.

Vitaly Petrov and Barrichello completed the top ten.

Meanwhile, Lotus were in action, pitting their T27 up against their rivals' cars for the first time. And it was a rather admirable performance.

Although the team called it quits an hour before the close of play, Fauriz Fauzy had already completed 76 laps, the fourth highest work rate of any driver at that time.

What made it ever more impressive is that the Malaysian driver spent the day without power steering.

"Without power steering Fauzy has done an awesome job," said team owner Tony Fernandes while tech boss Mike Gascoyne told Autosport that the lack of power steering was because of "a supplier issue."

Fernandes, though, was delighted with his team's performance: "Great day well done Fairuz. Great day for Lotus. Great day to see a British brand back in action. Great day for Malaysia."

So it was a great day for Lotus, although not even a good one for fellow newcomers Virgin.

Timo Glock amassed just 10 laps with a best time of 1:32.417 . That was 9.824s behind the P1 time and more than half a second slower than Fauzy's best.

Unofficial Times

1. S. Vettel Red Bull Racing RB6 1:22.593 99 laps

2. L. Hamilton McLaren MP4-25 1:23.017 +0.424 72 laps

3. F. Massa Ferrari F10 1:23.204 +0.611 72 laps

4. S. Buemi Toro Rosso STR5 1:23.322 +0.729 79 laps

5. P. de la Rosa Sauber C29 1:23.367 +0.774 76 laps

6. M. Schumacher Mercedes GP W01 1:23.803 +1.210 111 laps

7. A. Sutil Force India VJM-03 1:24.272 +1.679 28 laps

8. P. di Resta Force India VJM-03 1:25.088 +2.495 74 laps

9. V. Petrov Renault R30 1:26.237 +3.644 55 laps

10. R. Barrichello Williams FW32 1:27.320 +4.727 109 laps

11. F. Fauzy Lotus F1 T127 1:31.848 +9.255 76 laps

12. T. Glock Virgin Racing VR-01 1:32.417 +9.824 10 laps

MIKA: Williams, Virgin and Lotus have a long way to go to be competative.

Schumi: A good basis for the rest of the week

Michael-Schumacher_2420913.jpg

Michael Schumacher is confident Mercedes GP has established a good platform for the rest of the week's Jerez test after amassing 111 laps on Wednesday.

Schumacher returned to the Spanish track on Wednesday morning for the start of the third of four pre-season tests.

The Mercedes GP driver was quick out of the blocks, leading the way after the opening hour.

However, as the day progressed and the track conditions changed from wet to dry to wet again, he fell down the order finishing sixth, 1.210s off the pace set by Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel.

Schumacher, though, did manage 111 laps without a single problem, once again demonstrating the reliability of the MGP W01.

"The weather today was extremely changing which made it difficult for us to work along our schedule and to have a clear picture about everyone's performance," he told his official website, michael-schumacher.de.

"From the laps we did we have been confirmed again we have a reliable car, and from the impressions and data we gain we can say our pace and performance look promising, and that is a good basis to keep on working from during this and next week."

Lotus: An excellent first day at the office

Fairuz-Fauzy_2420928.jpg

Lotus tech boss Mike Gascoyne has sung the praises of his team following an "excellent" first day at Jerez.

Although Lotus's T127 had been put through a shakedown at Silverstone last week, Wednesday's opening day of testing at Jerez marked the first competitive outing for the new team's car.

And it came through the test with flying colours.

1266435906.jpg

Test driver Fairuz Fauzy was given the honour of pitting the new car up against its rivals and was quickly into the action.

The Malaysian tester, who completed the 300kms he needed in order to obtain a super licence, amassed 76 laps and finished ahead of fellow newcomers Virgin Racing on the timesheets. And he did so without power steering.

"It's been an excellent day for the whole team," said Gascoyne.

"Firstly I want to say a big thank you to Fairuz who did an excellent job today with the first proper day of running.

"With so much going on, such as doing systems checks, it can be a pretty disjointed day for the driver.

"When you add into that the changeable conditions, and also the fact we were running without power steering today, it could have been a tricky day for Fairuz but he didn't put a foot wrong so well done to him and a big thank you.

"With the car we had no major reliability issues - a few niggles with overheating which were quickly solved and then the car ran pretty faultlessly.

"The power steering issue will be fixed for tomorrow so all in all a very successful first day and a busy evening ahead preparing the car for tomorrow."

Fauzy was another member of the team who was all smiles on Wednesday evening. "To arrive here and complete 76 laps is fantastic," he said.

"It was a big challenge, both to complete the 300kms I need for the Super Licence, and with no power steering it was difficult to drive in the dry, not so bad in the wet, so I was driving a bit conservatively but I am just very pleased."

Heikki Kovalainen is set to take the driving duties on Thursday and Friday before handing over to team-mate Jarno Trulli for the final day.

MIKA: Can someone run over to Autobarn and buy Lotus a power steering kit! :covereyes:

Having read this and looking at results, it would be great if they ditched Trulli (WHo is past his use by date) and use Fauzy instead. (IMO) B)

Lotus test return in pictures:

Action Shots:

Lotus mechanics prepare its glittering new T127 for its official testing bow early on Wednesday morning at the start of the second pre-season test at a damp Jerez

56635_2.jpg

Having carried out a shakedown of the car at Silverstone last week, test driver Fairuz Fauzy gets his final instructions as he prepares to take the T127 out for its first spin alongside the big F1 boys

56634_2.jpg

Heikki Kovalainen watches with interest as Lotus completes final preparations for its group testing bow. The Finn will get his first experience of the T127 on Thursday

56633_2.jpg

Fauzy rolls out of the garage for a series of opening installation laps in the stunning-looking green and yellow Lotus

56631_2.jpg

The return of the legendary Lotus colours of green and yellow to an F1 track has been widely welcomed by both the paddock and fans

56630_2.jpg

Mike Gascoyne tracks the early progress of his Lotus T127 from the pit wall

56640_2.jpg

2009 could have been Webber's last

webber_ham_kub.jpg

Mark Webber has revealed he might have quit Formula One if last year's Red Bull car was a "**** box".

He told The Australian newspaper that, with a broken leg and an expiring contract early last year, he was beginning to experience waning motivation.

Ultimately, the RB5 powered Webber, 33, to his first two grand prix wins, two fastest laps and eight podiums, putting into history his less successful seven previous seasons.

Asked if 2009 would have been his last season had he not driven to the front of the F1 field, Webber answered: "I don't know. If we had a total **** box last year, maybe.

"It was a very tough start to the year for me mentally with the (mountain bike) accident and if that was coupled with a tough season result-wise, it might have been enough to put water on the flame, but fortunately, it was enough to put petrol on it," he added.

Webber joined Red Bull from Williams at the end of 2006, having previously also driven for Jaguar in the wake of his 2002 debut for Minardi.

"Two or three years ago, I wasn't particularly enjoying it a huge amount and I wasn't a million miles away (from retirement) then," he explained.

"You have to be enjoying it and you have to be motivated. That fire has to keep going.

"Last year was very, very important in terms of the outlook on my whole career," Webber said. "The fire is burning now, I am getting up each day and I care and I am taking responsibility for myself."